Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   S trap (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=738959)

• Mar 13, 2013, 08:21 AM
    S trap
    What is s trap?
  • Mar 13, 2013, 08:58 AM
    Fish4Fun2
    An "S Trap" ==> A Primer on "S" Traps | Structure Tech Home Inspections

More importantly, the function of an "S Trap" is to prevent sewage gasses from entering your home via your plumbing. S traps, in conjunction with vents are an absolutely critical part of any indoor plumbing system. If you are installing a new fixture, absolutely make certain to incorporate both an s trap and make certain that it is properly vented.

Fish
  • Mar 13, 2013, 09:11 AM
    massplumber2008
    Your information is close, fish4fun2, but you are wrong about STRAPS. In fact, if you read the first sentence at the link you posted it will confirm what I present!

Straps are illegal and have been for decades now! Straps were used decades ago when plumbers didn't individually vent fixtures and simply went down from the plumbing fixture through the floor and connected into the plumbing system. The Strap did keep sewer gasses from escaping the drain, but over time it was determined that these types of traps were easily siphoned and did NOT do the job they were designed for. It was then that plumbing engineers designed the current plumbing principles and required that all plumbing fixtures get a PTRAP and an individual vent. The exception to this rule is when one or more fixtures can be WET VENTED by another fixtures vent, but that is getting off topic here!

Anyway, if 1510 needs more info. just let us know, OK?

Mark
  • Mar 13, 2013, 09:50 AM
    puffmugs
    Depending on your code, but in Ohio S traps are illegal with no exceptions for the reason Mark stated.
  • Mar 13, 2013, 09:50 AM
    Fish4Fun2
    massplumber2008,

Obviously you are 100% correct. I never noticed the difference between a "P-Trap" and an "S-Trap". I am quite dyslexic and it took me several minutes looking back and forth between S-Trap pictures and P-Trap pictures to finally "get the difference". I always assumed they were synonyms and responded with a picture link I (obviously) didn't read. Thanks for pointing out my mistake; I learned something today :-)

Fish
  • Mar 13, 2013, 05:03 PM
    mygirlsdad77
    I don't mean to be an a$$ Fish4Fun2, but if you don't know the difference between an s trap and a p trap, why exactly are you answering questions on a plumbing forum? We have licensed plumbers, and many other extremely knowledgeable people when it comes to plumbing. I suspect you have a bit of knowledge when it comes to plumbing too, but please don't answer if you are not 99.9 percent sure of your advice. Not trying to be mean or anything, just trying to keep the answers here as accurate as possible. Take care. Lee.
  • Mar 13, 2013, 07:30 PM
    Fish4Fun2
    Quote:

I don't mean to be an a$$ Fish4Fun2
    Really? But I will a$$ume the fault is mine because I failed to properly apologize in my previous post. I will rectify that now:

I am very sorry for improperly answering a forum post. I am obviously not a plumber, licensed or otherwise, and I had no business responding to the OP's post. I will in the future make 100% certain that I do not improperly respond to posts anywhere on this forum.

Regrettably I am actually glad that I made the post (and the mistake) because I learned something rather subtle (at least from my perspective) today, and that makes today a good day. I am sorry that my learning experience bothered you, I truly am, it was certainly not my intent.

Fish
  • Mar 13, 2013, 09:16 PM
    speedball1
    Let's keep it simple Fish. All coders mandate. " If it has a trap it must be vented.""" "S" traps have no vents. End of story! Case closed! Regards, Tom