Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Vent pipe turned into drain pipe and drain pipe into vent pipe (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=133635)

• Sep 25, 2007, 12:20 PM
    chad278
    Vent pipe turned into drain pipe and drain pipe into vent pipe
    I recently began to remodel my laundry room. I wanted to move the washing machine 3 ft from its current spot. When I removed the sheet rock I found that the vent pipe is between the current washing machine drain and where I am moving my washing machine. I wanted to avoid breaking into the slab. The plumber said it was no problem. Plumber cut the drain pipe and attached new pipe to the vent drain. He then cut the vent pipe and attached pipe and made the vent pipe the new drain. He did intall a p trap above the ground and he used 1 and 1/2 inch pvc pipe. Basically the old drain became the new vent and the old vent became the new drain. However when I began to wash clothes water backs up out of the washer drain when the machine begins to drain. Is this a good way to do this? Any suggestions would help? Thank you. Chad
  • Sep 25, 2007, 06:59 PM
    iamgrowler
    Well, you have to ask yourself, is there anything above draining into the new/old drain/vent pipe?

Also, depending on how old the original installation was, were proper drainage fittings (long sweeps, combo's and wye's) used below grade, or was it plumbed back when vents below the flood rim were ran flat and with short sweeps and sanitary tee's?
  • Sep 25, 2007, 07:52 PM
    ballengerb1
    Newer washer need a 2" drain line. the pumps just overload an 1.5" pipe. I am surprised the plumber did not use 2" PVC.
  • Nov 6, 2007, 08:29 PM
    plumberjames83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chad278
    I recently began to remodel my laundry room. I wanted to move the washing machine 3 ft from its current spot. When I removed the sheet rock I found that the vent pipe is inbetween the current washing machine drain and where I am moving my washing machine. I wanted to avoid breaking into the slab. The plumber said it was no problem. Plumber cut the drain pipe and attached new pipe to the vent drain. He then cut the vent pipe and attached pipe and made the vent pipe the new drain. He did intall a p trap above the ground and he used 1 and 1/2 inch pvc pipe. Basically the old drain became the new vent and the old vent became the new drain. However when I began to wash clothes water backs up out of the washer drain when the machine begins to drain. Is this a good way to do this? Any suggestions would help? Thank you. Chad

YOu CANNOT USE a 1.5" LINE OR TRAP on a washing machine it must be a minium of 2"
    1.5" vent is fine but not for a drain also if there there is another fixture of anysort connected to the washing machine "Drain line" or plumber's term "branch intervel"
    it must connect to 3" within 8' of the washing machine .
    And being that thatis a pumped line your plumber if he was a plumber should have known better... if you need I can give you the section out of the internatioal plumbing code for this