Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ddhiggi Posts: 50, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2009, 06:03 PM
    Asbestos siding
    Is it possible to put up vinyl siding over top of asbestos tiles? The house was built
    In 1954 and is half frame and half asbestos.
    darkvision Posts: 232, Reputation: 15

Mar 5, 2009, 06:13 PM

The only thing I would recommend on that is to contact a professional who has the equipment to work on/with asbestos safely. Working on that is not a DIY project in my opinion. So your local version of yellow pages and a phone (and of course the cash to pay) would be what you need.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2009, 06:30 PM

To be honest this could get real costly. The stickler here is nailing on the furring strips causing a tile to crack and fall. " loose abestos "

In the old days we just went over it.

Its very possible. The window jambs will be built out and the sills also. Not all needs this but gust to nail the siding directly over asbestos siding usually requires pre drilling holes for nailing on the siding. Installing the siding nails has a bit of a trick. Nails to tight and the siding buckles in heat. To loose and it flaps in wind. So, furring strips.

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    ddhiggi Posts: 50, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2009, 07:09 PM

Thanks for your answer. I think I'll try the furring strips
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 5, 2009, 07:26 PM

There is no way to install siding and/or furring strips without creating friable asbestos(dust). The asbestos industry is making big money handling this risk. Now some folks feel the stuff is only dangerous to those who are repeatedly expose, like asbestos miners or workers in the old insulation industry. I am not willing to participate in that experiment.
    vwdieseljunkie Posts: 107, Reputation: 13

Mar 5, 2009, 07:32 PM
    One basic rule when dealing with asbestos, or "presumed asbestos containing materials": So long as it is not disturbed, it is not hazardous. They are considered "non-friable" asbestos materials.

However, if a nail or screw is driven through them, or they are broken, scraped, or otherwise manipulated outside of their current form, they will become "friable", as they will create an airborne 'dust' of the asbestos fibers.

There are ways to get around this, but I would suggest you contact your local code office, or a local contractor that is licensed to handle and abate asbestos, and verify what practices are accepted in your area. I would imagine some form of encapsulation will be required.

I too do not consider this to be a DIY project, unless you are yourself well educated on asbestos and it's handling, as well as abatement procedures and precautions.
    darkvision Posts: 232, Reputation: 15

Mar 6, 2009, 12:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ddhiggi View Post
    Thanks for your answer. I think I'll try the furring strips
    As I was saying earlier I really wish for your safety you would get outside help, even in the US Navy where we do 99% of the work on a ship ourselves when it comes to handling asbestos we hire an outside outfit to do it for us, and they come in with a lot of special equipment, and seal off a very large area around where they are working to prevent exposure to others.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Asbestos over wood siding [ 5 Answers ]

I am interested in buying older home, but it has asbestos over wood siding? How expensive or feasible to remove? If not able to remove what can you do?

How do I cut a hole in asbestos siding? [ 4 Answers ]

I need to install an exhaust vent and a window in my detached garage and the garage has asbestos siding on it. I am well aware of the dangers of disturbing asbestos but the bottom line is it has to be done and removing the siding is not an option at this time. Has anyone ever cut this type of...

Asbestos siding repair [ 1 Answers ]

My situations is this, my house is approx 45 yrs old and has asbestos shingles on the outside... these have been painted and the paint is now peeling and some are broken from a recent storm... is it safe to sand these to repaint ? Or would covering these be better?

Asbestos siding [ 2 Answers ]

We just learned our house has asbestos siding underneath the aluminum siding. It is a 2 story house with full daylight basement, though all areas are not covered with siding. I know this is expensive, but can you give me some range of costs to remove the asbestos please?

Asbestos siding [ 1 Answers ]

I just purchased an asbestos siding old farmhouse and would like to move it a quarter of a mile down the road to my farm and do extensive remodeling on it. I was wondering if it was safe to move.

View more questions Search