Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    woods3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2008, 03:07 PM
    Why won't my dryer work when the humidity is high?
    I have a Kenmore Elite (7 years old). For the past 3 summers, the dryer will not turn on at all during random times and it is always during the time of year that the humidity is high where I live. We have had Sears out numerous times and the answer is always a new fuse or a new computer. We get the part and the same thing continues to happen. The problem finally resolves itself in September, when the humidity goes away. Last summer I discovered that if I unplugged the dryer when it wasn't working and then plugged it in again it usually would work. What is the problem? I am so frustrated with a pile of wet clothes, but I really don't want to buy a new dryer when I know it will work again in 2 months.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jul 15, 2008, 05:42 AM
    Hello woods3

Only thing I can imagine is that the humidity causes damage to the electronics in the dryer.
    If you leave the power "on" the humidity may at times create some "path" through which electrons find a way to an item that they never should reach.
    And although that sensitivity is on itself a failure of some dryer part (it may result from a small distortion of the internal wiring - like distance between points) you have already found the solution.

Keep the dryer disconnected form the mains when you do not use it.
    Than - even during high humidity - there can be no damage to parts.
    So if you do not mind to disconnect the dryer after use (do that 12 out of 12 months to make it a habit), your problem is solved. I doubt if this can be corrected without replacing the entire electronics and wiring , as this can be caused anywhere in the dryer.

Note : other alternatives like using chemical "dry" pellets during the humid months may seem a solution, but I personally would prefer the disconnect option.

Success !

·

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

High indoor humidity [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a ranch style home in a shore town 300' from the atlantic. The house is on a crawl space that is dry. I have a propane gas, forced air, heat & air unit. In the summer the air is usually on so the indoor humidity is OK. But in the winter with the heat set @ 70 during the day & 50 @ night...

New A/C, but humidity is high. [ 22 Answers ]

Hello. I'm new to this site. Hope you all can help! So, my house in southern Louisiana is about 3 years old. It was new construction by a builder. That is, it was built for sale, not by a private individual for personal use. It sat on the market, empty and unoccupied, for about a year and a...

Honda Civic acts strange in high humidity [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have experienced the following problem with my 2003 Honda Civic a few times: warning lights light up on the dashboard - Airbags, ABS malfunction, parking brake set (when it is not), seatbelt not fastened, battery not charging, etc. But it happens in extreme humidity. We had a lot of fog...

High Pitch Noise From My GE Dryer [ 1 Answers ]

My GE dryer makes a high pitch noise while drying. What can I do to stop the noise?

View more questions Search