Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tom s Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2008, 02:40 PM
    High indoor humidity
    I live in a ranch style home in a shore town 300' from the atlantic. The house is on a crawl space that is dry. I have a propane gas, forced air, heat & air unit. In the summer the air is usually on so the indoor humidity is OK. But in the winter with the heat set @ 70 during the day & 50 @ night {gotta save propane @ $3.50 a gal.} even with the central humidifier off, the humidity is always between 65 & 70%. The house always has a mildew smell. Is there anything that can be done to get the humidity down to 40-50%
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Apr 3, 2008, 05:30 PM
    First of all cover the crawl space with a layer of plastic. It does not make a difference how dry it looks or is it will still allow moisture into your home. If still to humid invest in a free standing dehumidfier. They work well in situations like yours and most can be connected to a hose for drainage so you no longer have to remember to drain the bucket.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2008, 12:27 PM
    I use a dehimidifier in my home in the winter and this removes a lot of water. Also be sure to use the bathroom vent fan when you take a shower or bath and let it run at least 10 minutes after taking a shower. This can help. Also the propane will actually be helping make your place humid. In the summer the a/c keeps the humidity under control. Do cover up the exposed ground in the crawl space as that will help also.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New A/C, but humidity is high. [ 22 Answers ]

Hello. I'm new to this site. Hope you all can help! So, my house in southern Louisiana is about 3 years old. It was new construction by a builder. That is, it was built for sale, not by a private individual for personal use. It sat on the market, empty and unoccupied, for about a year and a...

Honda Civic acts strange in high humidity [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have experienced the following problem with my 2003 Honda Civic a few times: warning lights light up on the dashboard - Airbags, ABS malfunction, parking brake set (when it is not), seatbelt not fastened, battery not charging, etc. But it happens in extreme humidity. We had a lot of fog...

Off-coil humidity of AHU [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am new in this site. Can anybody tell me how the relative humidity works in a recirculating AHU. My indoor air temp is 24deg, 50% RH. When I cool this air to 13deg. Centigrade the RH is becoming 100%. Can I use this 100% RH air directly to space or do I have to use reheating to reduce th...

Humidity [ 2 Answers ]

I am wondering where I should have my humidifier in my home. Should it be by a cold air return or farther away, or by the thermostat? Does it even matter as long as I keep it running?

View more questions Search