Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Cars & Trucks (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   MAP sensor;Mass Airflow sensor;Volume Air sensor-All Same? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=15920)

• Dec 9, 2005, 03:56 PM
    newbiehomeowner
    MAP sensor;Mass Airflow sensor;Volume Air sensor-All Same?
    97 Nissan Pickup - 160,000 miles - KA24E engine -Check engine Soon Light
    Code reader says volume air sensor. Is this the same as a mass airflow sensor or the MAP sensor? Where is this sensor located, in the throttle body injection? Just threw a new O2 (Bosch)sensor on it, I lost that bet.. it didn't help! Doesn't idle smooth at all... Runs waaayyy rich... black smoke and all... Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Happy Holidays
    Neil
  • Jan 4, 2006, 05:01 PM
    newbiehomeowner
    Problem solved
    I met a factory trained, 14 yr Nissan veteran, who informed me of a Tech bulletin on that yr truck. The problem stems from a place in the main wiring harness , close to the firewall, past the valve cover, where the harness makes a 90 degree bend and under the sheathing there are 4 wires that go into one wire. There is a cold solder joint at that spot which, when re-soldered, will cure the intermittent problem of the mass.. or volume air circuit... hope it helps 'yall..
  • Jan 13, 2006, 11:27 PM
    starchild
    Locating a cheap mass airflow sensor
    My mechanic said I needed a mass airflow sensor, I have no Idea what he's talking about, but can not find this anywhere other than the dealer. Its for a 97 Nissan Pickup, automatic, 2 wheel drive. If anyone can help me I would really really appreciate it. Thank you
  • Jan 22, 2006, 06:24 AM
    newbiehomeowner
    Nissan Dealers -Parts
    Good luck with the Mass Airflow Sensor. They do not sell them without selling you the throttle body of the injection system as well which carries a price at my local dealership of around 425 bucks. The kikker is, that if the service engine soon light is being displayed on the dash, sometimes the code that is stored in memory will be the mass airflow circuit... not the mass airflow sensor itself. So after you throw away the 425 bucks, the problem may persist. Mine is the circuit, and my search of failed components led to the little connector coming from the wiring harness which they do not sell without a complete wiring harness which carries a price tag of about 1200 bucks... Short of soldering the wires directly to the sensor, which may result in heat damage to the sensor, I am getting less than 10 mpg till I figure out a solution. If there is any consolation, my 97 2wd automatic runs just fine on the cold mornings we have been having here in Florida lately... My next truck will be a TOYOTA... (they probably play the same parts games as Nissan though! )
  • Jan 22, 2006, 09:59 AM
    starchild
    A friend who works at nissan said they had 38 of these pieces... and threw them in the trash!! They were told not to hold parts for a long period, I asked him if they saw them as fruit or meat and that they would go bad if they sat out. Needless to say though I guess Im going to have to cut a kidney out and pay for this piece. I've thought about getting a Toyota also but after this experience with nissan and their parts I may just get a bicycle.
  • Jan 29, 2006, 07:46 AM
    newbiehomeowner
    Polished up the old '97 - Trading for a Toyota - 03 - Tacoma - 4cyl - 2wd - xtracab - Done with Nissan!!
  • Feb 23, 2011, 12:45 PM
    n8ander
    You'll love your tacoma
  • Jul 29, 2012, 12:58 AM
    Brian85
    I have a Mass air circuit problem on a 97 Nissan pickup how do I fix it
  • Jul 29, 2012, 03:59 AM
    TxGreaseMonkey
    First, try cleaning the MAF Sensor with MAF Sensor cleaner--allow to dry for 45 minutes. If the problem persists, replace the MAF Sensor.