Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Augy123 Posts: 58, Reputation: 3

May 12, 2012, 07:39 AM
    Relocating a Hose Bibb, need advice
    I have an outdoor hose bibb (faucet, spigot, sillcock... not sure the correct terminology) that I need to relocate. We live in a northern climate so it's a frost-free variety. The problem is I am attaching a deck along the entire back side of the house and the ledger board will be at the height of the spigot (so when completed, the spigot would be below the decking.

I would like to extend the spigot out to the outer edge of the deck and install it on the rim joist. Is this feasible? I was thinking I could run copper or PEX from the spigot, along a joist, and enter the house through the ledger board. I would have to put some sort of shut-off valve inside the house and drain the exterior section prior to each winter, correct? Would this be sufficient or does anyone have a better suggestion? I can draw up a sketch if that helps. Thanks for any and all advice.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 12, 2012, 08:46 AM
    B & K Industries 908-003 1/2 IPS Sillcock Valve yep, you got it right. Where do you live exactly, in my area a northern climate is the coldest. What type of pipe is currently supply the water? What you want to do should be feasible if it never ever can feeze.
    Augy123 Posts: 58, Reputation: 3

May 12, 2012, 04:31 PM
    I live in Iowa so it gets plenty cold. I am thinking I'll run PEX all the way back to a utility room where I can install a drain valve and just blow it out (or back drain) before each winter. Sound reasonable?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 12, 2012, 05:08 PM
    That could work since Iowa is at least as cold as Illinois and we freeze our tails off, frequent below zero temps every winter except this last one. You could blow it out like they do for sprinklers or pitch the line on a downward slope of 1/4" per foot so it can gravity drain. Forget to drain just one winter and you will be starting from scratch. Make sure you shut off is well inside the house

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Totally frozen bibb won't budge [ 3 Answers ]

Hello The front spigot will not turn on at all, completely seized, back one is fine, water line was off for winter then turned on, totally froze, cannot turn left to turn on... bolt inside bibb handle rusted taken out, so far, should we soak the head handle and all in some solution of clr? We...

If a hose is connected to a hose bibb will we be able to get water from our neighbor? [ 4 Answers ]

Our main water line is broken, we have hooked up a garden hose from a water source to our outside hose bibb, but we have no water inside. We understood this was a temporary fix, are we doing something wrong? The hose bibb is not a frost-freeze, and we have water coming out of the garden hose when...

Changing jobs, relocating to a different state. Need advice on the interview process [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, this is my situation. I live in NYC but my fiancé lives in PA. I work here in NY, and go visit her on the weekends or every other weekend. But it's a to a point where I can't be without her anymore. I miss her too much, and am no longer happy here in NY. The only time I'm ever happy is when...

Plumbing sweating copper pip to brass hose bibb [ 5 Answers ]

I own a house with vinyl sidding. I have to change a hose bibb that's already sweated . How do I protect the sidding from being damaged? Thanks tony s

View more questions Search