Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    keljai Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2007, 11:38 PM
    Theft under 5000 for a 18 yr old
    L just recently got charged with this crime in Toronto at sears. I was wondering how the process is going to happen also if there will be a criminal record on my file. Since l was caught should l plea gulity or not and the outcome to each please (gulity or not)THank you.
    go4011s Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2007, 12:15 AM
    Plea guilty, and get it over with more quick. If you've committed a crime, and you're caught, you're aren't just a suspect, you're charged. To plea not-guilty without any credibility to back it up would not only insult the intelligence of the judge, but almost definitely ensure a stiffer penalty.

Jun 3, 2007, 12:20 AM
    So if l was to plea guilty can l still try to get a alternate measure?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2007, 09:01 AM
    Hello k:

If it was me, I'd hire a lawyer. If you could just look up the law and find out what the sentence is, we wouldn't need judges. What I can tell you is this: Bad things will happen if you are convicted of a crime. Some of those things will last YOUR ENTIRE LIFE. That's a long, long time to pay for a mistake you made at 18.

excon
    honey2700 Posts: 27, Reputation: -1

Jun 3, 2007, 09:33 AM
    OK. First of all just go to those lawyers that are already at the court room for the people that don't have money for lawyers. Don't waste your money on a lawyer because its not worth it. Your only going to get a fine some where between 150$ to 300$. I got caught shop lifting 3 times (not proud of this I was a dumb teenager) and the first time I got nothing for doing it the secong time I was a bit older 19 I think and got a 150$ fine the third time which was only 3 months later I got a 300$ fine. The last 2 times I didn't even have to plea guilty or not guilty. Shop lifting now days is a slap on the wrist. Don't stress over it just don't do it again because its stupid and your going to have a crimmnal record now making it hard to get a job and your not going to beable to go to the states. If you were under 18 you wouldn't get a record but they might give you a break if you pay a fine and if its your first offense and stay out of troble for the rest of your life.

Jun 4, 2007, 09:13 AM
    So basically your saying that if l pay the fine(sears or the gov?) and even if l do alternate meaure where l do some community service l will still have a criminal record?
    H3ll0 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2007, 09:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by keljai
    l just recently got charged with this crime in Toronto at sears. I was wondering how the process is going to happen also if there will be a criminal record on my file. Since l was caught should l plea gulity or not and the outcome to each please (gulity or not)THank you.
    Since you are 18, you are an adult now. Pleading guilty or not depends on how you were caught. I imagine they have enough evidence since you were charged. Below is what happens if you plead guilty and accept responsibility in Canada for theft under 5K.

You should have a notice of appearance form which also have a date for your identification to be done. Identification is fingerprinting and photos. If you want to hire a lawyer, it is about the $500 range. If you can't afford a lawyer, you will appear on your court date and ask for the duty counsel for assistance. He/she is a lawyer and will guide through the process of talking to the judge. You should plead guilty and majority of the time they will send you to the Alternative Measures program (also called diversion). If you are sent to the diversion program, you will either do community work, restitution, write an apology letter, or give a donation. What you do will be determined by a probation officer assigned to your case. Once you have completed your conditions, you can go back to court to have your records removed thus no criminal record. Your identification/fingerprints will also be removed after 6 months. Hope this helps.

Jun 4, 2007, 09:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by keljai
    so basically your saying that if l pay the fine(sears or the gov?) and even if l do alternate meaure where l do some community service l will still have a criminal record?
    As mentioned in my previous post, if you are in Alternative Measures and you complete your conditions i.e. community work, your records will be removed.

Jun 4, 2007, 09:27 AM
    So basically l will have a criminal record no matter what? And even if they make me pay a fine (the stolen location or the gov?) or alternate

Jun 4, 2007, 09:29 AM
    No you will NOT have a criminal record if you are in Alternative Measures and you complete the program.
    berrybunny Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2007, 05:51 PM
    I did that at the bay at 18 and they caught me fair and square. From what I know it will be a permanent record most likely. There is a chance, if you really convince the court, to get a discharge, usually if you do community service or donate or sth. Anyway, check the specifics at your city. I feel your pain.

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft Under 5000/ way under 5000 [ 14 Answers ]

Okay this is probably one of the dumbest things I have done, day before yesterday I was caught on my own street with 2 other friends and I went into an open car, now I was not going to steal any money, I just didn't want to look like a pansy, I know stupid excuse. Anyway, right when I was in the...

Theft Under 5000 [ 3 Answers ]

I will keep this short and simple. Earliar in March I was charged with theft under 5000. I just received a letter from a company asking me for $500 in damaged incurred do to their loss. Now the letter is obviously just a mass printed letter with my name intserted. What should I do?...

Theft under 5000 [ 2 Answers ]

Hey I'm 18 and I made a very stupid mistake as well as everyone else that's been in my situation.. ive never been charged with anything or had any legal problems.. but a little while ago I was charged with theft under 5000 from an employer and took around 3 grand worth of stuff.. I'm an idiot for...

Theft under 5000 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, so I'm not happy to admit this, but almost 2 yrs ago I got caught stealign at the bay, and had to do the diversion program. I didn't get charged I just had to do the diversion prgoram, Today I got caught stealing 15 dollars worth of stuff, :S I know STUPID. But anyway, I'm going to school to...

Theft under $5000 [ 2 Answers ]

Stole a street name sighn and was caught from canda 18 what am I looking at hear first ofence

View more questions Search