Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nikkiusweet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2012, 02:01 PM
    Housebreaking 2 year old shih tzu
    We have a 2 year old male Shih-Tzu. From day 1 of having him (we got him 8 weeks old) we have consistently tried potty training him. He goes for 2 -20 minute walks about 30 minutes each after eating his breakfast and his dinner. Through out the day we let him out side to go to the bathroom at least once an hour.
    No matter how many times he would mark his territory outside, or if he pooped, he would come in and go inside of the house. It has become very frustrating to us.
    Recently, we have bought a baby gate and have him confined to a small space . He has not once, not once , peed or pooped in this area. He can go 8-9 hours at night with out an accident. Before, when we allowed him out at night, he would go all over the house! I am to the point of having tried everything, I feel, I could do, I am not even enjoying our little guy. I expect a very clean house and cleaning up pee and poo is not making me happy at all. I shampoo the carpet immediately if he goes on the carpet, if its on the linolieum (sp?) I will use cleaner and then use my steam mop on the area.
    I just do not know what more I can do. He goes outside more than most dogs, and yet he can't help but going in our house. I would love any suggestions anyone may have that will help us out. Thank you.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2012, 09:04 PM
    Oh gosh, I have been down that road... With a Shih Tzu too! My little Bliss could never be house trained no matter what I tried, she had me completely baffled.

Her breeder had a lot of issues with her Tzu's as well. For her males she used belly bands to stop them marking. They are just a stretchy cloth that goes around their waist with an absorbent pad underneath. When they lift their leg, the pad catches all the mess.
    For females you can use modified baby diapers.

Many dogs when wearing a belly band or diaper will find themselves not wanting to mess while they have it on because it feels strange to them and will only go when you take it off so they can toilet outside.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Potty training a 1 year old shih tzu [ 2 Answers ]

I just got a cute little 1 year old shih tzu about 2 weeks ago and I am having great difficulty potty training him. The previous owners didn't have him potty trained. I bought him a crate and take him out to "go potty" regularly. Then I keep him on a leash in the kitchen or in the bathroom so he...

How to house train a 2 year old Shih Tzu [ 3 Answers ]

I just received a dog from a friend who did not walk the dog and let her pee and poop all over her house. I thought that just walking her twice a day would solve the potty problem but I've found that right after we have walked her she will poop in the house. We have limited her diet to dog food...

Housebreaking my shih tzu [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I just got a shih tzu and I'm having a really hard time getting her to use the bathroom outside. We will take her outside and she will not go but when we come back in she will urinate on my carpets or make a bowel movement.its really becoming a problem I don't know what to do please help:(

Re-Housebreaking unneutered Shih Tzu [ 4 Answers ]

I have a almost 3 year old male Shih Tzu. He trained easily but would hike now and then. I did my best to keep it cleaned up. He will hike on the corner of the beds upstairs if allowed up there but otherwise did not hike in the house. He studded last week and started using my downstairs as his...

View more questions Search