Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rsandhu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2011, 12:59 AM
    My trained puppy urinates inside
    At least once per week my 6 months old puppy urinates inside. Help! I don't know what to do.
    Thank you
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 29, 2011, 01:19 AM
    That's not very often, and might just be because he isn't taken outside enough. Training does take a lot of work, a lot of exaggerated praise, and a routine. Then there's the problem of the spots where he peed! If they aren't cleaned thoroughly, he thinks they are now pee-spots.
    One of the easiest training methods involves keeping him in a small area, such as a fenced in spot around the TV or wherever you spend a lot of time. He won't pee where he 'lives.' A crate is a bit too confined for 6 months except in your room at night. And don't forget all that time outside.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 29, 2011, 08:10 AM

Nope, a crate is perfectly acceptable. In the wild dogs live in dens, the dens are only big enough for them to stand, turn and lay down. When you crate you are mimicking the den. Crating while you are away or at night is perfectly acceptable for house breaking.

Is he urinating while you are home or only when he is left alone? Manya dult dogs still have accidents. Take into consideration the time you are leaving him alone. Remember to give plenty of potty breaks through out the day with lots of good boys, if he is having the accidents at night, try taking the water up or limiting how much he is taking in. Make sure he is getting enough time to potty before bed.
    jessicasmith Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Jul 29, 2011, 09:01 PM
    You need to get all spots profesinally cleaned plus he or she is testing how much they can get away with
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 30, 2011, 01:21 PM
    HEY. I didn't say crates were unacceptable.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 31, 2011, 05:53 PM

When you said
    A crate is a bit too confined for 6 months
    it kind of sounds like you are saying that they aren't a good idea.

The spots don't necessarily need to be professionally cleaned. A good enzyme cleaner works wonders. I have concocted a new "mix. Half water, half vinegar with about 10 drops of tee tree oil. The Tee Tree Oil not only neutralized the smell, but it works as a disinfectant as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Doggy Urinates inside my house [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Pomeranian Doggy of 10yrs old. She has become now deaf and blind. Recently she urinates frequently inside the house. What do I do to prevent her from doing so and what could be the reason for her behaviour.

9yr old potty trained male now urinates [ 2 Answers ]

Hello - I need help! My 9 yr old male Miniature Pincher has been potty trained for the full 9yrs. He has never urinated in my house until now. He has been neutered for 8 yrs. We recently had to dog sit for a relative, the dog was also 9yrs old, potty trained and neutered and he stayed with us...

Puppy Urinates When Touched ! [ 7 Answers ]

:mad: I've had this pomeranian puppy for about 7 months, he's around 9 months old. I tried potty training him to no avail for about 4-5 months. I tried everythign in the book. Yelling NO when he did it in the house, to poiting his nose in it while saying NO, to putting him in a tight box for a...

Potty trained puppy peeing/pooping inside suddenly [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 7 month old Wheaten terrier who has been doing extremely well with potty training. He was actually fully potty trained until this past week. When he needed to go, he'd sit by the door and cry... and if that didn't work, he'd come up to us, sit in front of our faces and cry. But within...

Dog urinates inside, on bed, no medical problems [ 8 Answers ]

My 8 year old pug and 2 year old rottweiler are kept in the kitchen when I am gone. They have a dog door to the backyard. The pug has been urinating for the past year off and on inside, but in the past 4 or 5 months it has gotten worse. There have been no changes in the environment or their...

View more questions Search