Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SaraKammeraad Posts: 82, Reputation: 2

Jul 16, 2011, 09:50 PM
    Does having manic depressive disorder or bo-polar cause someone to lie?
    I know someone who has recently been diagnosed with what they call manic bi-polar but I can not find information using that wording. I was wondering if anyone knows if having that causes someone to lie when they have rapid mood swings. This person has been caught lying a lot and I was just wondering if it was truly associated or if that person just lies. If anyone has any links I can follow I would greatly appreciate it. I have heard that a person with this can have hallucinations.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2011, 08:23 AM

The following site has a great deal of information on manic depression:

Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance: Improving the Lives of People Living with Mood Disorders

The condition was once known as Manic Depression but in 1980 was re-named to Bipolar Disorder*

Hallucinations are not uncommon. Would have to know more about the lying. Not a per se symptom.

*DSM-III, DSM-IV
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2011, 07:03 PM
    One of the problems with Bipolar, is that the person is often excluded a great deal due to difficulties in social situations. So they sometimes can turn to lies to get the attention and acceptance that they desire.
    But this is true for ANYONE, bipolar or not. Some people lie. The diagnosis of Bipolar makes no difference
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2011, 08:30 PM

Prevarication... (kind of a softer word for lie)

"Love your hair-do",

"What a beautiful child",

"I'll never tell another soul".

Normal or symptomatic of underlying mental disorder?

Maybe it has to do with how much you lie or the extent and degree of the un-truth or a combination thereof.

It seems safe to assume it is not exclusive to bi-polar disorder, as jennie indicates it is "true for anyone."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Manic depressive health [ 1 Answers ]

As for me, when I try to talk to my wife about her problem, she blows up. She then says I am the one that should be seeing a doctor. All this advice about talking to her is nice, but this is not a normal situation, remember it is a chemical imbalance, and talking it over does not work for me. In...

Am I manic depressive? [ 1 Answers ]

There is history of depression and manic depression in my immediate family. I am aged 14 going on 15 in August. I find it difficult to keep friends for long as I have very sudden irritations with people. Sometimes I feel that my relationships with people are much more complex then what other...

Dealing with a manic depressive [ 2 Answers ]

I believe my sister is manic depressive, but she is breaking ties with the family, and won't ever believe she has a problem. How would I go about getting her committed to get this problem taken care of? She has all/almost all the symptoms associated with manic depression, I just want to get help...

My son has bipolar/physcioaffective/ocd/social anxiety disorder/manic depressive [ 7 Answers ]

I am just looking for someone who I can converse with who is experiencing or has experienced the same thing I am going through as a mother. My son, 23, was diagnosed last year with bipolar, psycho-affective (associated with schizophrenias), social anxiety disorder, manic depressive, and over...

Difference between manic depressive and bipolar? [ 5 Answers ]

My psychologist told me that I am either bipolar or manic depressive. I only visited with her once and have to go for more evaluations. Can someone explain the difference between the two? I feel weird calling her to just ask her that question. Thank you.

View more questions Search