Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jessicasmith Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Jun 18, 2011, 04:13 PM
    What should I get?
    I just rescued a year old female choc lab. She dose not like collars she will only walk on harness because she was abused and once had an embeded collar so now she refuses to wear one. Now what I am wondering is scence she is a 1 year old female lab should I get her a harness for a medium dog or a large dog? Please let me know thanks to all who help.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 18, 2011, 05:25 PM

In all honesty you get your dog one that fits proper. Your going to have to size it on the dog as different manufacturers have different sizing specifications. Also without us seeing your dog there is no way for us to even guess.
    jessicasmith Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Jun 18, 2011, 08:26 PM
    Comment on califdadof3's post
    She come up to the middle of a normal post mailbox
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jun 18, 2011, 09:10 PM

I would skip the harness unless you plan on having her pull a dog sled. Try a halty or a gentle leader. What ever you decide, you should have it professionally fit for her the first time and a quick lesson on how to properlly use it. I know it seems strange to take a lesson on a "collar" but since you will be using it as a trianing method, it's best to exactly how they work.

I commend you for choosing the adoption option. She is one lucky girl to be saved. :) Any questions feel free to ask. Take a look at some of the other threads posted, you will find some great info on behavior and house training tips. Oh... we LOVE pictures! :)
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2011, 07:52 AM

I say.. start training her that collars are OK and good.

Agreed with Bella, head harnesses are a great tool. The same company that makes the gentle leader makes a harness also. It attaches in the front of the chest instead of the back. It still won't allow her to pull you but doesn't have any pressure on her neck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search