Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bmon0319 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2007, 02:19 PM
    Parvo And Well Pups
    My 2 Cairn Terriers had litters of pups 2 days apart. At 6 weeks, (1st shots not given yet), out of 14 pups, 8 died from parvo. I had originally quarantined the sick ones, but as the days went by, more got sick very quickly. Two that had the virus have survived and seem to be thriving. The other 4 did not come down with the virus. The 6 pups are all together and it has been 6 days since any signs of illness. Should they have their first shots now? Should they be segregated? What are the chances that the 4 that did not get the virus will come down with it or are they immune? What should I do? I couldn't stand it if I lost more of these babies? When will they be ready for their new homes? Thank you.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2007, 02:48 PM
    Regarding the parvovirus problem, you really need to take them to a vet and have them all checked out. The vet will explain the problems and what you should do regarding innoculation procedures and the deworming process that needs to be done prior to rehousing them. You cannot sell, adopt, or give away any dog that might be ill. Aside from the normal distress it would cause the new owner if the pup dies on them, you could find yourself in the middle of a lawsuit if they felt you were aware of the illness and sold the puppy to them anyway. I can't stress enough that you need to get a veterinarian involved after this tragedy if you want to avoid further complications.

Regarding when will they be ready for their new home? Again, speak to the vet. Due to the problems you have had he/she should be consulted. Rule of thumb is that you never take pups away from their mother before they are 8 weeks of age. They need to be weaned first (which the mother will do herself - no help required from you) and they need to have the normal interaction (socialization) with their littermates prior to rehousing them.

Considering you have had this terrible ordeal with the parvovirus, you really should consider spaying and neutering the parents. It is not fair to them, their pups, or you, to be going through this problem again. Next time you might lose the entire litter to the virus. If you choose not to do this, please read as much material as you can regarding breeding and care for newborns before deciding to mate them again. Please, I beg you to arm yourself with knowledge! It is the best defense to avoid disaster.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2007, 04:43 PM
    I received your private message. No I don't have any other information. If your niece is a veterinarian, she is in a much better position to advise you than I am.

Sorry I cannot be of more help to you.
    bmon0319 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2007, 04:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bmon0319
    My 2 Cairn Terriers had litters of pups 2 days apart. At 6 weeks, (1st shots not given yet), out of 14 pups, 8 died from parvo. I had originally quarantined the sick ones, but as the days went by, more got sick very quickly. Two that had the virus have survived and seem to be thriving. The other 4 did not come down with the virus. The 6 pups are all together and it has been 6 days since any signs of illness. Should they have their first shots now? Should they be segregated? What are the chances that the 4 that did not get the virus will come down with it or are they immune? What should I do?! I couldn't stand it if I lost more of these babies? When will they be ready for their new homes? Thank you.
    Should have added much more information to my questions. I am a breeder and my pups always go to the vets within 5 days of being born. The week before they started showing symptoms, they had been at the vets for checkups and worming (at 5 weeks). I feel strongly that the vet's office is where they contracted the virus, as all my dogs are up to date on vaccines. My niece is also a vet and she has been working very closely with me throughout this. In fact, if it wasn't for her help, all of the pups probably would have been lost. Do you have more information?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2007, 06:20 PM
    I forget what the incubation period for parvo is, but it is quite short. I am sure you can find it at Canine Parvovirus, What you should know about

Do you have any alternative place to house the mothers and pups? Maybe your niece's? The ones that survived may have had immunity passed on from the mothers. If it wears off, they too may be exposed and get sick.

I would clean everything up with bleach as best I could. If as a responsible breeder, you were going to wait a year before breeding again, the parvo should be gone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mother not feeding pups [ 1 Answers ]

My dog has been refusing to feed her 3 week old puppies. Do you have any advice?

What ARE these pups? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, We've recently taken in two puppies that were dropped off on a friend's doorstep. I am wondering if anyone could tell me what the mix might be. These pictures are both of the girl (they look very similar.) I've had pit bull suggested, but we're really not sure. Is there any way to tell...

Do chiuahua pups get along with kittens? [ 1 Answers ]

Well u can call me Candy if you would like 2. :D :D um... I'm new here and I'm open 2 new things and love seeing different answers. So my question is Do 8 week old chiuahuas get along with 8 month old kittens? Please answer ASAP!

Will a mother beagle eat her pups? [ 1 Answers ]

We have a mother beagle that gave birth to 7 pups. They are 3 weeks old today and now we have 4. We found half a head where the mother had eaten one and we assume 2 others. Is this normal? Puppies were developing well. The 4 left seem well nourished and healthy. Mother seems to have plenty...

Doxie Pups Run From Me [ 2 Answers ]

How can I get my 9 month old Doxie pups from running away from me? The female does this when I want to put her in the kennel (she will not be bribed with treats) and the male when he occasionally gets out the front door and runs across the street. I've "had it" with the both of them and ready to...

View more questions Search