Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Scarlette Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2011, 10:08 AM
    Training.
    How do I train my dog? He's a full blooded Red Healer. We r going to use him to round up cattle.
    jessicasmith Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Mar 23, 2011, 06:47 AM
    People that I know first lead them on a lead around the cattle then used the whistle also it will come naturally to the animal
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2011, 07:42 AM

Actually.. Your dog will instinctively herd cows. It was what they were bred to do.

Your biggest challenge is controlling the dog. You should go through some basic obedience first before you start rounding up cows. Make sure your dog is trained to your voice or a whistle.

With herding dogs, you need control or they will run wild, chasing cattle out of control, and that is when you will either get a dead dog from a stampede or a kick, or hurt cattle from the dog not doing what you want.

A solid recall and a solid set of commands to "come" when called and to stop herding is needed first and foremost. It also wouldn't hurt to teach them left and right commands.

After that.. then introduce them to a small group of cows, and work the dog with them.

Having an inherit instinct to herd doesn't mean they will do a good job, it only means that training will be easier.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where can I find a training center that offers IPC training? [ 0 Answers ]

I'm looking for a training centers that teaches IPC Training that provides quality training system.

House training and Crate Training? [ 3 Answers ]

I just rescued a dog from the animal shelter. I'm new to this and have a few questions. He has been good with letting us know at times that he needs to go potty. He has gone a few times outside. But he has also peed and pooped in the house as well. He has only pooped when were gone. But he has peed...

How to go from outside training to potty pad training for our puppy? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a two month old shih zui puppy and she is very well trained in using the bathroom outdoors. In this cold weather I find that she shivers a lot while outside and I always make sure she has a coat/sweater on. How can I get her to at least during the colder months or during rainy days to use...

Toilet training a dog--and I mean TOILET training. [ 6 Answers ]

It's always been a nice trick popular among cat owners sick of cleaning the litter box, or who just want to show off to their friends. There are many devices out on the market for easing a cat into the habit, but I've seen no such thing for dogs. So what am I talking about? Training an animal to...

Training for 5K [ 2 Answers ]

I've reluctantly agreed to do a 5K one month from today- I'm overweight (5' 5" and 170lbs:( ) and very out of shape so I need to start training. Any suggestions on how to start? Currently the only exercise I get outside of normal daily activities of caring for a home and 2 small children is...

View more questions Search