Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angiebow Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2011, 10:38 AM
    What age to feed newborn jack rusell puppies?
    Hi, my ***** has had her first litter of jack sussell pups they are now18 days old, what age would you recommend starting to feed them?? One already licking the mothers bowl of chicken!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 5, 2011, 10:49 AM

Hi angie, there is a time and place for everything, at l8 days the pups still need the dam's milk to give them immunities and the proper nutrition. It doesn't matter the pup is licking the bowl, he/she probably knows it food and it won't do any harm, but now is not the time for solid food.

Please read this website. There is some important information you should know and follow so you will be aware of what to do when the time comes to help out mom after those pups are weaned by her.

Good luck.

Submit articles or find free articles › Pets

Enter 'know when to wean puppies' in the search section
    angiebow Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2011, 11:06 AM
    Hi, thanks for your reply, much appreciated,
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2011, 06:33 PM
    At 3 months of age, you should start to introduce kibble.

From experience, the mother will introduce the puppies to food on her own. It's a lot easier. I don't even soak the food.

Feed mom in the same pen as the babies. The babies will become curious on their own and start to play with the food and suck on it. Within a week, they will be eating solid food.

I believe that with mom weaning the babies, they learn proper dog language. Of course, keep an eye on her. Young moms don't wean very well. If you see that she continues to nurse babies when they are 6-8 weeks, then separate her from them. But for the most part, pups should be relying on solid food only by 4-5 weeks.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2011, 06:34 PM
    I meant 3 weeks, not 3 months!
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 6, 2011, 06:35 PM

Lol! Good post Lucky.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fleas on newborn puppies [ 10 Answers ]

My dog has 5 day old puppies. There is a growing flea problem. Can I treat these puppies at this age? Can I treat the nursing mother?

Fleas on newborn puppies [ 5 Answers ]

Our dog just had puppies, only 3 days old, I have used frontline on the mother previously, but now that the puppies are born they are infested with fleas. What can I possibly use that would be safe and help

Newborn Puppies with Fleas, PLEASE help [ 6 Answers ]

My Jack Russell Terrier just had her first set of 3 healthy male puppies. They are only 2 weeks old, and their eyes have just now began to open. They have a MAJOR flea problem. I know all puppies have fleas but I mean its so bad I end up flea combing 20 off at a time and many more, and I flea comb...

My newborn puppies have LOTS of fleas! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I'm Jasmine and my dog just had her first litter of puppies three days ago, 8 little puppies, but they are all infested with fleas!! I feel absolutely aweful, if I sit near them I can see all of the fleas crawling. I was wondering if there is anything I can do for them right now? Because I...

About jack russell puppies [ 2 Answers ]

I have a new jack russell puppy 8 weeks old when do I innoculate and can I give him dried food and scraps rather than canned dog food?

View more questions Search