Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    love21kttn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2010, 08:02 PM
    How long is a dachshund in heat?
    My dog is 2 yrs old and hasn't been spayed yet but has noticed small amounts of blood on furniture, blankets and etc. When can I get her spayed?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 26, 2010, 08:14 PM

Wait until her heat is over (most vets won't perform a spay while the dog is in heat). Any time after that, you're good to go.

Dogs can be spayed at 6 months of age. Some vets will even do it earlier.

Good luck, and thank you for making the right choice by getting her spayed. Not only will she be healthier and happier, but no unwanted puppies is a definite plus. :)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2010, 07:12 AM

You will be able to spay her in about 3 weeks.

Bleeding starts within a few days of the heat beginning and it lasts for 21 days. Some dogs may experience bleeding for only a week, others for the whole 3 weeks, but even if there are no signs of being in heat, that doesn't mean the dog is safe from pregnancy, they are fertile for the entire 21 days.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Dec 27, 2010, 09:51 AM

I don't have much more to add, but now would be a good time to get in contact with the vet for the pre surgery blood work and a once over to make sure she is healthy and OK to have surgery done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What age does a dachshund come into heat [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 6 month old dachshund. I would like to know at what age will she come into heat? I have been told different times. I do not want her to have puppies. I am planning to have her spayed as soon as possible. Thank you for your help

Dachshund heat cycle [ 1 Answers ]

I have a precious 9 & 1/2 month old female daschund. She started her first heat cycle last Wednesday. I have set up an appointment to have her spayed during the first week of July. She's experiencing ordinary symptoms, including swelling. However, she has swelled up nearly three times her usual...

Dachshund in heat [ 3 Answers ]

Mh mini long hair just turned 6 months old ,she shows all signs of being in heat isn't this young? Can we do any thing to make more comfortable

Dachshund in heat [ 5 Answers ]

Any information on a 9 month old mini as to how long she stays in heat for the first time? Need to know ASAP!! Please help.

How Long is a dachshund in heat? [ 6 Answers ]

I just adopted a 3 1/2 year old female dachshund named Honey. I have only had her for a few days and when I adopted her she had not yet been spayed. I plan on having her spayed, but before I could get her in she started showing signs that she was in heat or is getting ready to go into heat. Can...

View more questions Search