Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    seikababy Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2010, 04:51 PM
    I Asked Why People Have A Problem With Other People Breeding Their Dogs?
    I want to know how many of the people that answered the question Are Responible breeders that only breed dogs that meet the standards for breeding? And how many of you own a dog that did NOT come from a breeder that follows the standard? How many of you have checked on the pets that were bred by you? How many of you have spayed or neutered your pets and not bred them.
    Lots of questions to answer here. How many of you will tell the truth?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2010, 04:55 PM

I want to know how many of the poeple that answered the question Are Responible breeders that only breed dogs that meet the standards for breeding?
    Well I'm in that category, yes.

And how many of you own a dog that did NOT come from a breeder that follows the standard?
    There are plenty here who own rescue dogs... mixed breeds cannot follow a standard, and the purbreds I cannot speak for because I have only seen photos.

How many of you have checked on the pets that were bred by you?
    Regularly. I got a photo of my poodle Pradas brother about a week ago actually.

How many of you have spayed or neutered your pets and not bred them.?
    I have 1 spayed female and 1 neutered male. They did not fit the standard completely... Prada has a bad front (very straight in shoulder) and Brody went over the breeds height restrictions. Neither have been bred from even though I have been offered stud fees for the male.

lots of questions to answer here. How many of you will tell the truth?
    I always tell the truth
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 16, 2010, 04:58 PM

You won't find a problem with any of us here answering your question. I don't want to be responsible for breeding dogs, that is to say, if I adopt a dog I have it spayed or neutered immediately. And I always adopt, or rescue a dog or cat myself.

I have in the past bought a specific breed from a breeder that have supplied the blood line, sire and dam and is a qualified breeder.

I wasn't aware that you had posted before regarding your initial sentence on responsible breeders, etc. Now I will go and check the issue out.

Tick
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 16, 2010, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by seikababy View Post
    How many of you have spayed or neutered your pets and not bred them?
    I grew up in NY farm country during a time when no one even thought of neutering animals, except maybe stallions and bulls. Stray and owned dogs and cats walked casually around between houses in town and farms. We were the preacher's family living at the edge of town, so all of our cats were barn cats that we tamed.

I lived now near Chicago. In the early '70s was the beginning of an effort to neuter pets. Since the '80s, mostly because our cats have been indoor only -- and we don't enjoy smelling mature cats' urine (and cleaning up their spraying) -- we have gotten our cats fixed. Almost all of the cats we adopted were taken off the street; they had come to our front door looking for food. Almost all of the ones we've kept have turned out to be male, so the fix was fairly simple.

We feed stray and feral cats, catch them one by one in a cat-friendly trap, take them to our vet who gives us a discount because of their feral status, and then, if they are friendly enough, adopt them out through the local cat shelter where I am a volunteer. If they aren't friendly enough, we continue to feed them and keep an eye on them, try to socialize them for future adoption, and are happy they won't be reproducing.

We are feeding two outdoor feral sisters right now (Deborah and Maddy), have gotten them spayed, and are working hard to socialize them so we can bring them into the house in the late fall, before the snow flies. They will join our two neutered and rescued males (Rasputin and Kuro) and one spayed and rescued female (Miss Frida Kahlo aka Little Debbie).

Sep 16, 2010, 05:29 PM
    Comment on tickle's post
    Hey Tick You have been very helpful answering all my questions. Thank you for your responses.

Sep 16, 2010, 05:30 PM
    Comment on shazamataz's post
    Thank you.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 16, 2010, 05:41 PM
    I want to know how many of the poeple that answered the question Are Responible breeders that only breed dogs that meet the standards for breeding?

I have never bred any of my animals.

how many of you own a dog that did NOT come from a breeder that follows the standard?

I have two dogs that did not come from a breeder, and one that did. My oldest dog (15) came from a friends accidental litter. He had his dog neutered, but something went wrong and oops, puppies were the result. My middle dog (almost 9 years old) is a shelter rescue. My youngest dog (2 years old) is a purebred beagle from a reputable breeder that contacts me every month, made me sign a contract, and only breeds to standard.

Not applicable because I don't breed.

My two oldest where neutered at 6 months of age. My youngest is not yet neutered because of money issues. That's the only thing he's lacking, and we plan to have him neutered next month. He is not allowed to roam, and he will not be the father of an accidental litter. It's not even a possibility.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2010, 06:05 PM
    I want to know how many of the poeple that answered the question Are Responible breeders that only breed dogs that meet the standards for breeding? And how many of you own a dog that did NOT come from a breeder that follows the standard? How many of you have checked on the pets that were bred by you? How many of you have spayed or neutered your pets and not bred them.?
    I'm not a breeder because I don't have the money to lose being a responsible one.
    I own a dog that came from a breeder who bred designer "Shih Poos" to poor suckers. And the dog ended up in a SHELTER, and I adopted it.
    All my pets have always ALWAYS been spayed or neutered. No exceptions. Period. I have seen, and have had to put way too many animals to sleep to ever want to breed my animals, even if they were perfect examples of the breed. Not for me.

Being a responsible pet owner is not rocket science.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Sep 16, 2010, 07:38 PM
    I want to know how many of the poeple that answered the question Are Responible breeders that only breed dogs that meet the standards for breeding? And how many of you own a dog that did NOT come from a breeder that follows the standard? How many of you have checked on the pets that were bred by you? How many of you have checked on the pets that were bred by you?

how many of the poeple that answered the question Are Responible breeders that only breed dogs that meet the standards for breeding?

I personally have never bred animals. But my mother, father and aunt bred German Shepherd for many years. I helped from a very young age, but I do not breed, nor do I have any interest in breeding myself. My parents were adamant about doing all the genetic testing done before choosing a stud or a b!tch. The pups were ALWAYS taken for their initial vaccines and flea treatment and worm treatment. My parents did not sell a dog younger than eight weeks, most time between nine and ten. My aunt was very much into show dogs, and a lot of the dogs we whelped were kept as family pets in the show life. Usually the b!tches were only bred once.

how many of you own a dog that did NOT come from a breeder that follows the standard?

I have a ten year old pure bred staffy, who is supposed to have his papers. He was from a BYB, but he was removed from his home, and I took him in when he was nine weeks. He was infested with everything going. He could have been a show dog, easily, very handsome dog if I do say so myself. But he was never used for show, was neutered as soon as he was old enough.

I also have a boxer staffy mix, she is five, her name is Lady. She came from Ontario, Canada over here to Nova Scotia, Canada, because of the Breed Specific Legislation that Ontario supports. When I got Lady she was emaciated, and was kept pregnant for her entire five years of life. She was surrendered to the Ontario Pound when her "owner" was hospitalized in a long term rehabilitation center after he was in a motor cycle accident (Karma?). She was sent to pound and slated to die, merely because of her breed. She was saved by a wonderful group here devoted to saving the bully breeds. She was spayed her first day in Nova Scotia.

My parents did quarterly checks on the dogs for the first year. After that they were confident in the pet owners. They also had a contract that if the new owners at any time did not want the dog, they could return it. Also in the contract, they had a spay and neuter promise, and if the new owners did not abide by the contract they could take them back at any time.

How many of you will tell the truth?

That is the truth.
    Dogs Expert

Sep 16, 2010, 08:12 PM

Seikababy,
    I just want to clarify, have nothing against breeders, and I am not judging your friend, I have no idea if she preformed any of the hip scores or genetic testing. If she didn't then yes, I feel that she is an irresponsible breeder. Sorry.

I just think that people should know that there is more to breeding than slapping two dogs together. And breeding does not revenue extra cash. Most breeders are lucky to break even, and not usually on their first litter.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 16, 2010, 08:17 PM
    I did not answer the post this is concerning, but I WILL respond to this one.

I don't breed dogs. Too many breeders already. I had the chance with my basset hound, but decided not to because I don't know enough about it.

And how many of you own a dog that did NOT come from a breeder that follows the standard?
    I have 4 dogs. 3 of which are rescue dogs and 1 came from a breeder. I did EXTENSIVE research on this breeder before turning over any monies.

All 4 of my dogs are spayed/neutered.

How many of you will tell the truth?
    And that's the truth.
    Dogs Expert

Sep 16, 2010, 08:23 PM

These pics are on our pets photo's page, but these are my two babies. Max and Lady.
    Attached Images

DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2010, 08:24 PM

I have two dogs a female and a male.they are both fixed.
    But they are mutts that I rescued from the pound so I don't know there breed , but I love them both like they were my kids..
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 16, 2010, 08:24 PM

Beautiful! I wish I had pics of my dogs to show off!
    aimee_tt Posts: 340, Reputation: 143

Sep 16, 2010, 08:46 PM

Both my dogs were from back yard breeders. If I didn't take them they both would be dead by now. They aren't pure breds but to me they are perfect.

Both were desexed as soon as they could be done and have never had a litter.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 16, 2010, 08:55 PM
    Attachment 33108
    Garfield (deceased) and Rasputin
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 16, 2010, 08:59 PM
    Attachment 33109
    Kuro, part Maine Coon, when he was still a feral
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2010, 09:24 PM
    Here they are
    Attached Images

Dogs Expert

Sep 17, 2010, 06:34 AM

Adorable guys! :)
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2010, 08:08 AM

I own both unspayed girls and spayed girls... and let you tell you! My spayed girls are lot more sane then my unspayed girls. It's a true pain having to deal with the mess and fuss of heat cycles. Yes, its every 6 month, but they stay in heat for an entire month!

I'm going to go out on the limb...

To breed a dog, because dogs were created for specific things, such as hunting. If your dog displays those qualities then you would be promoting the breed.

What will separate you from a backyard breeder and a legit breeder is the process of selection. Be selective with your dog. Don't just breed to anyone who has a male dog. You are being responsible for putting (up to) 8 beating hearts on this earth. Why not shoot for the best? Would you just get with any dude to have a kid? Or do you want to be with the right man?

Ok, so you want to have one litter. One litter is actually pretty easy to keep track of. When you sell your pups, sell them on limited registration if your dog and daddy dog is AKC/CKC registered. Ensure that all those pups WILL BE fixed. When talking to the new owners, tell them that. Make sure they understand so when its time, they can't come back and say you never advised them of it. Sell those pups on contract. In that contract state that these dogs WILL BE spayed/neutered under no circumstance.

As the creator of these pups, you need to be willing to take your puppies back later in their lives if it doesn't work out with the owner. You made them, you're responsible for them. In that contract, it should state that you will take the dog back at any time throughout that dogs life.

Also.. since you are thinking of breeding, you should try and put at least one type of title on your dog from your kennel club such as obedience, agility and/or Canine Good Citizen. What that is showing is the trainability of your dog. It puts more value on the pups and more owners are willing to breed to your dog.

Make sure that your dog is healthy. There are certain things to have looked at when considering breeding. If your breed is prone to hip dysplasia, then you need to get them checked. If your dog comes up as a carrier of that problem, you have to let the new owners of your puppies and the stud dog that your dog doesn't have it, but may give it to her pups. Your puppies should be vaccinated for their proper age and checked out by the vet by the time they're ready to leave. This is called a health guarantee. You should also state in your contract that the new owners have 48 hrs to get that pup looked at by their own personal vet. That ensures that YOU DID NOT SELL A SICK DOG.

Those are they key points to stand up above the backyard breeders. Backyard breeders are not responible, selective and just produce mass amounts of puppies.

Please speak with your vet, other breeders (from an actual legit kennel) and read up on some books if you do consider having puppies.

Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why do people have a problem with other people breeding their dogs? [ 112 Answers ]

I have read in many places that people are always asking someone else to get their dogs spayed. I have a dog and I do plan to breed her but only one time. I do talk to my vet about her care. I feel that I am resopnsile enough to care for my pet. I use sites like this to gain information about the...

How much hot dogs and hamburger for 40 people. [ 8 Answers ]

I am hosting a baby shower and expect to have 40-50 people (about 10 are children). I need to know how much hamburger and hot dogs I would need. Any ideas to cut costs would also be welcomed!

Poor people owning dogs. [ 32 Answers ]

Here's a question that I'll ask in it's most simple form: How do we all feel about poor people owning dogs?

View more questions Search