Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2010, 08:59 PM
    Traveling with Pets
    Ok, I'm traveling with my dog, as some of you already might know. (I think I've got all the money covered lol) on a flight that direct. I know the Max Size of The Kennel can't be more than

L w H
    91 cm 61 cm 66 cm
    I have a limited amount of money, Like 60 dollars.

Where could I go to get one in my price range? I'm in calgary if that helps.
    Also
    What do I need to know about ryu's height and stuff to ensure I get a cage big enough for him
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2010, 10:08 PM

The airlines require that the dogs head has to clear the enterence of the crate door without having to duck. Also.. it has to be big enough that the dog can turn around completely.

Any petstore will carry the crate.. It has to be the hard plastic crate...

The airlines should help you with whatever else information you need.
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2010, 10:28 PM

Well I know what kind they want. All they specify is, the dog must be able to turn around, lay down and stand up comfortabaly.. I just can't afford going out and buying the biggest one for the plane limit... so I was trying to figure out if I could get a smaller one
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 26, 2010, 10:42 PM

Michelle, have you tried Kijiji?
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2010, 10:56 PM

Would your pup fit into a carry on carrier? Or is he too big?
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2010, 12:48 AM

He's way too big. He's approx 16 inches tall give or take and weighs 35 pounds or maybe a little less.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2010, 10:44 AM

Oh Michelle, if only you lived here, I could have loaned you any size you wanted :(

Are you a member of any dog message boards? Alapaha groups or anything similar? Might be an idea to post a 'wanted' ad on there. You never know, someone might have an old cage they are willing to part with cheap.
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2010, 11:30 AM

Actually... Some good news.. I found a cheaper ticket. A little later in the week... saved 90 dollars on it.. and I found a crate that is only going to cost me like 45 bucks max. :D... then once I get home, I'll use it until he can't fit in it any more, and donate it to the spca when it doesn't fit.
    The people at the pet store (petsmart) were awesome. Found me one within my budget that the airline accepts and asked me to come in with ryu to fit it before I buy it

Aww shazzy thanks hun that's so sweet of you...
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2010, 11:34 AM

That's great :D Glad you found a cheap one!
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2010, 11:46 AM

And I checked them out online. They are awesome looking.
    Grreat Choice Portable Kennels - Carriers - Crates & Kennels - PetSmart
    I'm hoping to be able to get a ride to the pet store with ryu this afternoon when my uncle wakes up
    Ohh I measured Ryu. He's 17.5 inches at the shoulder almost lol
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2010, 11:54 AM

Oooh they do look good, lots of ventilation.
    The ones they use in Aus for transport are similar to that but only have small holes around the top, they get very hot. Expensive too, $50 for a Chihuahua sized one.

17 inches! Wow, he's growing so fast!
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2010, 12:08 PM

That's what I thought shazzy, lots of ventilation.. wow 50 for that small of one? That's nuts.. though there's only like 5 % tax here or something along those lines so it saves more money.. 15% tax in nova scotia

He is growing fast isn't he.. its crazyy :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pets and being pregnant [ 2 Answers ]

Is it harmful to be around indoor pets while being pregnant?

Pets and Babies [ 7 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I'm expecting my first child in February and I was was wondering if any of you guys had some advice on how to make things happy and safe for all of my family members, including the ones with four legs. For those of you who may not be too familiar with me my household contains 3 dogs...

Capuchins as pets [ 3 Answers ]

I'm interested in getting a baby capuchin as a pet. If anyone could give me some information about training, purchasing from a breeder, health(shots, teeth, etc) or anything else I need to know, please just give me the info!

Insurance for Pets [ 1 Answers ]

I have been searching for a good pet insurance policy. Does anyone know a good pet insurance company? And does anyone know of any pet insurance company that covers pre-existing conditions?

View more questions Search