Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2010, 01:28 PM
    Puppy Using the Bathroom quite often
    Hey again everyone, its me.. Binx..
    I'm not having a problem with my pup.. But my aunt asked me to post this for her..

Her pup owen, uses the bathroom A lot... LIke he pee's a million times a day. And Does number two 6 times or more in the run of a day
    The pups are on the same kind of food. My pup goes number 2 around three times a day (after each meal) and can go a few hours without being let out.
    With Owen he can pee, then ten minutes later, you find he's pee'd somewheres in the house, or when I go out for a smoke, even if he had just been out he needs to pee again...

Any advice? Our vet's across the city, but we're always willing to make a trip my aunt just knows I love the people on this forum and that you guys do give good advice/input
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 22, 2010, 02:43 PM

Well depending on the food, the dogs digestive systems could be re-acting differently. One dog can excel on brand ABC while the brother can not digest and develops allergies to it.

With commercial brand foods, there is more fillers in them, so the dogs are going to have more bowel movements.

A puppy frequently urinating small amount of urine may have a hormonal imbalance. Hormonal imbalances alter the pH of the urine, making it easier for bacteria to flourish.

Bladder infections and bladder stones are another possibility. The stones are mineral build up. It happens frequently when PH balances are off, being too high or too low.

A condition called psychogenic polydypsia can cause your puppy to obsessively drink water and urinate excessively. This condition is not serious and doesn't need treatment.

And than there is incontinence. Urinary incontinence is a common birth defect in breeds like huskies, but quite possible in other breeds.

A serious illness may be the cause of your puppy frequently urinating small amount. Kidney failure, diabetes, liver disease, and abnormalities of the pituitary gland are all possible causes of frequent urination in small amounts.

Those are the most common medical reasons for frequent urination, but of course there is always the behavioral side of things. This may fizzle out once he is neutered, but he may also need some obedience training as well.
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2010, 04:24 PM

Thanks for the info Aurora.. I let her read this. And once she can afford it she's going to take owen for another vet check... He does drink A lot of water... but he does not Pee in Small ammounts. I swear as gross as it sounds, he pee's more than I do at one time
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2010, 03:34 AM

Sometimes dogs just have to go more then others. The food your feeding could be salty and high fiber.

What are you feeding?
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2010, 06:59 PM

Sadly right now because I can't afford better they are on purina large breed pup food... Normally I use oven baked dog food but with no job and my aunt losing her job we can't afford the 55 dollar bags of dog food
    This is what I normally use Chicken recipe puppy formula - Oven-Baked Tradition
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2010, 08:37 PM

I see..

Well.. the purina is probably what is causing Owen to potty a lot.

Dealing with all of these rescue dogs.. I've witnessed first hand how food effects different dogs. My mom is feeding everyone Iams.. Some dogs do great on it, others seem to poo mountains.

My own dogs.. I feed Innova. The blue pittie cannot handle innova. However, she digests Nutro pretty good. Very small stools.. no runs.. Strange.

My white bully crapped mountains when I fed my dogs Iams for a month.

I would say as long as everything is normal.. No diarrhea, no small spotting.. no strong oder.. then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. If the pup is gaining good weight, looks healthy, nice bright eyes.. healthy appetite.. Then leave it be.
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2010, 11:36 PM

We're good on all aspects except the odor LOL.. it can be rank sometimes... My aunt hates cleaning it up lol... And when he makes an accident in the house, you can smell it before you come across it.. Ryu's doesn't smell as strong at all...
    I've been looking for work non stop, except for a few days there. Still no luck yet.. Hoping I can get a job before sept because I'd love to use my Oven baked coupons lol... makes it a little bit cheaper not a lot though.. three bucks. But better than nothing
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2010, 12:10 AM

I wish my food gave out coupons.. The best thing they got is a UPC thing where if you collect 12 UPCs you get one bag free.. Talk about a rip off!
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2010, 09:33 AM

With oven baked, if you give an online testimonial you get four three dollar coupons

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 8 week old puppy will not use the bathroom outside [ 7 Answers ]

My 8 week old yoorkie poo will not use the bathroom outside he waits until he gets in the house to use the bathroom on my carpet. The training pads don't work either

My puppy won't go to the bathroom outside and instead chooses his crate? [ 2 Answers ]

I just got a 10 week old wheaten terrier who refuses to go the bathroom, pee or poop, outside. Not only does he go in his crate but he actually sometimes runs to his crate to pee after having been outside for 30 minutes. I try taking him out once an hour, once a half hour repeating "go potty" but...

View more questions Search