Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2010, 07:22 AM
    Puppies and water consumption
    Ok, as you all know I have an Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog pup and so does my aunt. They were 12 weeks as of yesterday, They get their 12 week shots tomorrow, our vet is away on personal emergancy until then. But there's one thing that I don't understand with the pups.
    I don't know what their access to water was before I got them. But they drink water like there's no tomorrow. If you fill the waterbowl they do not leave it alone until every single drop is gone. This is the first time I've ever had a pup that would drink more water than they required in one sitting.. Is this normal? Every other pup I've owned and young or full grown dog has consumed water as such a fast rate as this. They've been to the vet.. twice since I got them (theres contract rules I had to follow, vet visit within 72 hours of getting them) and I took them to my vet once I got to the province I'm now living in. Both times they said they were healthy and had no problems what so ever.. Is there a way to get them used to always having water and not acting like its all the water they are going to get for the day? I can't keep it full, because they drink sooo much water that they have to pee a million trillion times a day. My aunts dog is still having problems with housetraining and my pup is almost completely housetrained.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jun 9, 2010, 09:51 AM

Well congrats on finally getting her home! Have you switched her food? Why type of food are you feeding her? Is she getting any other treats or human scraps?

Seeing as she has had the all clear from the vet, I would hate to start naming off medical reasons of why she could be doing this, but a few things come to mind. One being uncommon abnormalities of the pituitary gland, or high blood calcium.

Dogs normally take in about 20 to 40 milliliters per pound of body weight per day, or about 3 to 4 cups of water per day for a 20 pound dog. Anything more than that, under normal environmental conditions, is considered polydipsia.

Polyuria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2010, 10:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Well congrats on finally getting her home! Have you switched her food? Why type of food are you feeding her? Is she getting any other treats or human scraps?

Seeing as she has had the all clear from the vet, I would hate to start naming off medical reasons of why she could be doing this, but a few things come to mind. One being uncommon abnormalities of the pituitary gland, or high blood calcium.

Dogs normally take in about 20 to 40 milliliters per pound of body weight per day, or about 3 to 4 cups of water per day for a 20 pound dog. Anything more than that, under normal environmental conditions, is considered polydipsia.

Polyuria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    No new food, mind you, he.. does weigh 21 pounds.. and I don't measure the water in cups so maybe he is drinking three to four cups a day lol... it's a medium sized green feeding dish , with food and water sections. Plus there are two dogs... they have gone under extensive checkups .and go again tomorrow. Currently they are eating what I call garbage.. purina puppy chow.. but as we were a bit short on cash we couldn't afford the new brand to mix in with it yet because we had to pay for our trip from nova scotia to alberta. I normall use "oven baked" hollistic dog and pupppy food which is about 50 bucks for a large bag. I've got some coupons that the company gave me for writing a testimonial.. three dollars off each bag and I got like 6 coupons.. I just need to wait for some money to roll in so I can begin mixing their food together...
    Dogs Expert

Jun 9, 2010, 10:16 AM

That is an excellent brand of food, made at Shur Gain right? Is there a Shur Gain in AB? I use this brand it's not quite holistic, but it's by product and grain free, runs about $35 for the largest bag.

Could just be the Purina, when I fed Lady that (it's what they were feeding her when I got her), it dried her out totally. She was constantly drinking anything, anywhere, mud puddles, bath tub, toilette bowl, condensation off things.
    Soon as I changed her food over, she was good to go.
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2010, 11:23 AM
    I'm not sure who it is by... But I've always loved the "oven baked" brand. And if it is a brand you use, if you go to their website and write a testimonial they give coupons for their pet food, which includes cat food also..

It made amazing changes in my carolina dog when I had him. Improving his coat, the consistancy of his stool, lowered the smell... he filled out and had more energy and was a lot happier. What is the name of the brand you use? As they may sell it here at the dog health food store nearby. I don't know if there is a Shur Gain here.. but I know there is a processing plant for it two towns over from where I used to live in Nova Scotia.. Port Williams to be exact and you can get feed from there for a decent price, that's where I used to get our horse grain. I never thought it could be the purina. I don't like grocery store brands of dog food, but its what they were origionally on so I stuck with it until I can afford better. How's things treating you down home? I miss Where I came from, some of the people, the forests, the wildlife.. but at the same time life is a lot better for me up here...
    Dogs Expert

Jun 9, 2010, 11:38 AM

I actually have a Shur Gain in my town, that's where I get it from. I used to feed the "Oven Baked", but feed 3 staffy's it got extremely expensive, VERY fast. So I switched to "CaninePlus Life Time", grain and by product free, and made for large breeds.

It's a heck of a lot cheaper and has all the great stuff that Oven Baked has. But I wouldn't switch from Oven Baked if it's something you can afford and like. It's so hard finding a quality brand that works well with your dog. I am going to check out the coupons, do you know what the web site is?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is water consumption increasing or decreasing? [ 2 Answers ]

Is water consumption increasing or decreasing on earth?

Can air cause a water meter to register consumption? [ 1 Answers ]

I am employed to a utility company and customers of the water sector are complaining that when there is no water at their homes, they hear air passing through the pipes causing the meter to register. I am interested in knowing whether air can cause a meter to register consumption and to what...

My lab/border collie mix heavy breathing/panting and excessive water consumption. [ 12 Answers ]

My almost 6 yr old female Lab Border Collie mix has had in my mind a problem recently. At times she will pant and breath very heavy and she consumes large quantities of water at times, much more than I see our Lab male drink. She has also taken to barking while in her crate at night at weird...

View more questions Search