Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michaelayoak44 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2010, 07:48 PM
    What breed is my mixed dog?
    When I adopted my dog who is now approximately 12 months, the humane society told me he was Boxer mix. He is almost pure white, with a few brown patches on him, and now at about 80 lbs at least. He had "red mange" for the majority of the time when he was a puppy. I've researched the facts on white boxers and this was a common occurrence with them. However, as he's grown his face is not scrunched at all like my other boxer and his face looks just like a Pit Bull. I bathed him the other day and I realized he had about 3 layers of hair, which is really odd for both breeds; Boxer and Pit Bull. He has a very prominent underbite also which anymore is the only indicator he may be Boxer. He has a very large neck and is REALLY thick. He is not built like a Boxer in the slightest and his built also resembles a Pit Bull. Also, his tail curls up, not significantly but just a little. I'm not real sure if Pit Bulls do this or if even Boxers who still have their tails do this. I'm a big dog nut & am very stuck on him and would like to know for sure what he is. His fur is what throws me off the most, ANY HELP?? Thanks!
    I would upload pictures but I'm not real sure how to do that on here, I'm a new member so I'm not yet adjusted.

May 8, 2010, 07:50 PM

This is Apollo my mixed white dog. Any answers?

May 8, 2010, 07:52 PM

This is Apollo, maybe this will work now. Any answers?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 9, 2010, 12:50 AM

Here's the link telling you how to post pictures;

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/faq.ph...faq_add_images

If you have any problems just ask here and I'll write step by step instructions for you. :)

May 9, 2010, 09:19 AM

Haha I did that! I don't know what my problem or my computer's problem is. I couldn't find anywhere to attach pictures when I was writing my question. But I just attached a link in my 2 answers in attempt to show pictures of him, doing exactly what you said but I'm obviously doing something wrong. Thanks!
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

May 9, 2010, 09:34 AM
    Did you try using the paper clip icon (top of the advanced message window) to browse files on your computer and upload the images? It also has a list of supported files and file sizes. Once you have the image up loaded close that window, place the cursor in the message window where you want it, and then click the paper clip icon again. It will have your files ready to attach to the post.

Good luck posting pics. I can't wait to see them. :)

May 9, 2010, 09:45 AM
    Apollo- Thanks for your help, I finallly got the pictures to work!!
    Attached Images

Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 9, 2010, 10:02 AM
    Wow, a dog with a Boxer's head, a Mastiff's body, and a Malamute's coat! Congrats on your new baby, he's elegant.

May 9, 2010, 10:04 AM

He has such a long snout though, and little beedy pitbull eyes. I'm thinking of sending in a DNA test.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 9, 2010, 10:04 AM

I agree with Cats! He is certainly different, but a beautiful boy!
    In the first photo my gut said boxer/pit. But with his body there is definitely something else in there, just can't put my finger on it.
    Uber Member

May 9, 2010, 10:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelayoak44 View Post
    He has such a long snout though, and little beedy pitbull eyes. I'm thinking of sending in a DNA test.
    Honestly, don't waste your money.

The only thing DNA tests are good for is determining genetic diseases and proving parentage.

I remember reading on a DNA kit site that they can 100% prove what breed your dog is if you don't already know.
    But if you know your dogs breed and it is a pedigree they can't do it accurately... HUH?? Sounds suss to me.

The reason I don't like these kits is because if your test comes back as say Pit x Malamute then you are going to go researching all about Pits and Malamutes...
    But what if your dog really has a working breed like Border Collie in it? They have completely different needs and drives than a Pit or a Mala.

May 9, 2010, 10:08 AM

Oh and thank you by the way, we love him to death. Thank you both! He looked like a Boxer when he was tiny and when he was a puppy that's exactly what he was TINY. I mean what happened? Haha he's huge but I'm thinking Mastiff/Malamute, he'd be a giant! Haha
    Uber Member

May 9, 2010, 10:09 AM

It's amazing seeing how much they can change and grow... especially with mixed breeds, it's like a lucky dip :D

May 9, 2010, 10:11 AM

But I just enjoy knowing things for sure. I'm thinking of going to my local vet and seeing what he thinks about me sending in a blood sample. I mean there's so many things I think about his breed/breeds but I'm not positive in the slightest. I'm just the kind of person that loves researching dogs and have quite a bit of knowledge on them but this, this has stomped me. I would just like to know for sure you know? Thanks for the advice!
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 9, 2010, 10:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    I agree with Cats! He is certainly different, but a beautiful boy!
    In the first photo my gut said boxer/pit. But with his body there is definitely something else in there, just can't put my finger on it.
    The spine's too long for him to have a lot of Pitt. That's why I said Mastiff. Those are about the only two large breeds with that wide a brisket.

Does it really matter, Mike? The DNA would be good to find out about genetic predispositions for dysplasia and eye problems, but for breed I.D. Heinz 57 is as close as it's going to get.
    Uber Member

May 9, 2010, 10:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelayoak44 View Post
    But I just enjoy knowing things for sure. I'm thinking of going to my local vet and seeing what he thinks about me sending in a blood sample. I mean there's so many things I think about his breed/breeds but I'm not positive in the slightest. I'm just the kind of person that loves researching dogs and have quite a bit of knowledge on them but this, this has stomped me. I would just like to know for sure ya know? Thanks for the advice!
    Unfortunately you will never know for sure unless you know who his parents are.
    You will get an answer back from a DNA test, but it won't be accurate.

May 9, 2010, 10:15 AM

He's not large enough to be mastiff, I mean that's the first thought that came to my mind. He has really soft hair but nothing fine like a boxer/pit etc.

May 9, 2010, 10:16 AM
    I've been to two vets and they both said, he's at LEAST a Boxer, which anymore just blows my mind.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

May 9, 2010, 10:22 AM

I see a pitty in there. Not sure on the other ones, but he is really gorgeous! I can see the boxer too. I agree with Shaz, those DNA tests are bogus.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2010, 11:33 AM

He looks like he has a lot of American Bulldog in him. The first picture looks like a Dogo Argentino but those aren't that common.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What breed of dog, is my dog Annie? [ 10 Answers ]

Can you help me figure out what kind of dog Annie is? The rescue told me that she was a shepherd mix, but what else? She is the sweetest dog. I have had for over 2 years. She was abused by someone and is terrified of people. She loves other dogs, especially her brother Nicky. It took me over...

What is the breed of this dog? [ 15 Answers ]

She is only four weeks old and we got her from our local animal shelter. She has bowed legs and tiny ears like a bulldog. But she doesn't look like any of the bulldog puppies. She has thick, rather fuzzy, very soft fur.

Puppy coloring for a mixed breed [ 2 Answers ]

Is it possible for a white poodle and gray/white schnauzer to have black coated puppies? The owner says ithats what happened. I just want to be sure before bringing the puppy home. I am looking for a dog that would be easy on my allergies. Thanks

What breed of dog? [ 2 Answers ]

Anyone know what kind of dog the little white dog in the Caesar dogfood commercial is? Riding in the convertible with it's owner?

How large will my mixed breed dog get [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Newfoundland Black Lab Mix puppy. He is almost 6 months old. He weighs about 65 pounds. His father weighed about 130 and his mother 80. How big can I expect him to get?

View more questions Search