Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boo8137 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2010, 07:34 AM
    Why are my puppies dying
    My pit had puppies three days ago and last night I checked on them and one was what looked to be dead so I took her and force fed her milk. After about two hrs she began to suck and try nursing. I took her back to mom to eat and she was dead this morning. I have three other puppies that are doing the same thing. Are they not getting enough food or what? I don't have the money to take them to the vet. What do I do?
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2010, 07:43 AM

The vet may be able to let you pay off the bill,your pups need help,get a vet and then get your spayed.

Its impossible to say what could be wrong with the pups on line,I'm sorry I can't be of more help,but I strongly advice a vet.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Apr 1, 2010, 08:33 AM

Yup only a vet can tell you what's wrong. Puppies are prone to chest infections and respitory infections. There is too many possibilities. Including the mama being sick. So if you don't want to lose all your pups along with mom, make some sort of arrangement to take them to the vet. Please get your female spayed. There are far too many puppies and dogs dying out there from negligent pet owners, and back yard breeders.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2010, 08:46 AM

You have got some good advice so I am going to be the mean one and give you the reality check.

Breeding dogs is not cheap, you need to have a good wad of cash set aside in case the b*tch has trouble whelping, or the puppies are sick.
    If all goes well then great, spend that cash on a holiday for yourself or something, but if something does go wrong at least you have the cash sitting there ready.

Now the next thing I have to question is the fact that you are breeding Pitbulls... no there is nothing wrong with Pitbulls in general but in the hands of a bad breeder it can turn out a disaster, and from the sounds of it you don't really know much about dog or puppy care.
    Ever wonder why you always hear about Pitbull attacks? Well, because people breed these dogs with absolutely no regard for temperament and genetics. Temperament is an inherited quality and can be passed down through several generations. Unless you knew the temperament on your dogs parents and grandparents (especially when dealing with a breed prone to aggression) you shouldn't breed them.

The loving, sweet Pitts are the ones from good breeders who have a true understanding of the breed.

I know all this is going to go in one ear and out the other but it's worth a try.
    Dogs Expert

Apr 1, 2010, 08:57 AM

I totally agree with you Shaz on everything except the statement "pit bulls are prone to aggression"... (please don't hate me :) ) In my experience, any dog can be prone to aggression. Including Poodles, Labs and Shi Tzu's

In my opinion, the APBT is one of the sweetest, most loyal, and affectionate dog you could ever meet. Pit bulls have been in existence for hundreds of years. They have been used for a variety of things but unfortunately, mostly known for dog fighting. Sadly, the fabulous pit bulls throughout history have gone unrecognized and unappreciated by most. These dogs were the ultimate family dog for years, and still very much are in our society today. Contrary to popular belief, the Bulldog type dogs (this includes pit bulls, staffs, American bulldogs, bull terriers, Staffordshire bull terriers, etc.) all of these COMBINED make up less than 1% of dog bite in this country annually. Unfortunately, they have become a media target and when one of them does anything, it is reported, and typically reported incorrectly so they can make this breed appear to be vicious.

The most common misconception again of Pit bulls is their temperaments towards people.

But the fact is, she obviously has no idea what she is doing in regards to breeding, and IS in fact contributing to the pitty's foul reputation.

I posted some links on Bully temperament’s I know the internet isn't always the most reliable place to get your facts... but it's all I have.

The American Pit Bull Terrier

Are Pitbulls Always Agressive Dogs? | Dirty White Dogs

Pit Bulls: Mean or Misunderstood?, Page 2 of 2 - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com
    boo8137 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2010, 09:06 AM

Well thank you but to those who say I don't know what I'm doing. That's obviously because I don't. First off I didn't plan on her getting pregnant and its not with a pit so know your facts before you speak. If it wasn't for my husband refusing to get a pin while she was in heat we wouldn't be here so. So I'm just concerned for the puppies well being now that they are here that's about all I can do
    Dogs Expert

Apr 1, 2010, 09:08 AM

You said you PIT had puppies... So if they are not pitbulls, then what are they. We KNOW our facts.

If you want to help them, than take them to a VET!
    Don't own animals if you can't afford to properly care for them.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2010, 10:25 AM

And how is it your husbands fault? What stopped you from getting a pin? Or better yet, having her spayed?
    Like the others said, the pups need to go to the vet
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2010, 12:32 PM

You may want to check and see if the mother is even giving milk. If she is no producing milk.. then the puppies are going to starve to death.

Despite what everyone says, not all dogs are naturally good mothers. She may not be taking care of them properly. There could be over a dozen reasons she is not caring for her pups. One reason could be she is just not a good mother.

I run a rescue with my mom.. this winter, we got in a pregnant female who killed all but three of her pups. She didn't keep them warm, she pushed them away, she laid on them... The three girls would have been dead if we didn't intervene. We pulled her away from the pups and took over. It was a battle! They had an upper respitory infection, worms, and diarrhea.

If you want to save these babies, then pull mom away and start bottle feeding. Its actually quite fun and very rewarding!

On the vet side, get them to a vet asap. Coming from a rescue where we try and find the cheapest route.. Take in just one pup. Take in the pup with the worse symptoms. Tell the vet that there are others that act just like this one. You're still going to have to pay for the medications for 8 or so pups, but you'll only have to pay for one dog and one office visit. Our vet worked with us that way. I know not a lot of vets are taking payment plans anymore. That route could help you and hopefully save the pups.

But please, try and get your dog spayed. If she is indeed a bad mother, trust me, you don't want to go through this hassle again.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 1, 2010, 12:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by boo8137 View Post
    well thank you but to those who say i dont know what im doing. thats obviously bc i dont. First off I didnt plan on her getting pregnant and its not with a pit so know your facts b4 ya speak. If it wasnt for my husband refusing to get a pin while she was in heat we wouldnt be here so. So im just concerned for the puppies well being now that they are here thats about all i can do
    We only know the facts you choose to share with us, that's what we go by when answering questions. If you don't tell us, we won't know, right?

Here are some facts for you. You have a dog that you obviously can't afford. If you had been a responsible owner and wanted to avoid unwanted puppies, you would have had her spayed.

Why did you mention pitbulls if the puppies aren't pitbulls? What breed are they?

More facts for you, these puppies need help, more help then you can give them, more help then we can give them. We can give you advice and then it's up to you what you do with that advice. The only logical advice for this situation is the vet.

I understand not having the money for vet care, I've been there, but here's the difference between you and me. My animals are in my life because I chose to have them in my life. Because it was my choice, I have to be responsible for their care. If I can't afford it (it happens, times are tough) then I have to do the right thing and find someone that can afford it. If it means giving up an animal I love, then so be it. They deserve the best care. But, before that, I'd call everyone I know and then some so that I could keep my animals and make sure they get the necessary care.

Now, luckily I've never had to do that. Talk to your vet, see if he/she is willing to set up a payment plan, most vets will. Ask family if you can borrow the money. Call the SPCA and see if they can help. Call everyone and anyone you can think of and get these puppies and the mother the help they need. Or you can sit back and watch them die, one by one. Be prepared for that if you choose not to get help.

Yes, it's harsh, but sadly it's the truth and the truth is often harsh.
    steph187 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2010, 11:43 AM
    Comment on shazamataz's post
    Dead wrong... a pit turns bc of how the owner rasies them.. they are not at the top of the list of aggressive dogs or dogs that turn yes, some do turn but not all! And the media makes pitbull attacts worse... u can't tell ppl they should not breed

Oct 10, 2010, 11:44 AM
    Comment on shazamataz's post
    This was the worst advice u could give ive been breeding pits for yrs and all of mine are protective and very loving!!

Oct 10, 2010, 11:45 AM
    Comment on boo8137's post
    Don't worry about them... ive been breeding pits for years some ppl are judgemental and give advice when they really don't know jack... ya know.. some pups just don't make it.. something's u can't control... its not what u are doing or how u bred...

Oct 10, 2010, 11:50 AM
    Comment on boo8137's post
    The best thing to do if u can't not afford the vet is to keep them warm a all times by a heating pad.. help the mom feed the pups by getting puppy formula and feed them through bottles keep them wraped up so their temp won't drop.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2010, 03:57 PM

Steph, I HIGHLY suggest you research into breeding before commenting on, and leaving negative feedback on posts.
    I stand by my statement.
    No, not all Pitts are bad but in the hands of a BAD BACKYARD breeder YES aggression can be passed onto the puppies.

"How to Breed Dogs" By Lean F Whitney is a good place to start learning basic dog genetics.

Also this question was asked in April :rolleyes: But I see someone has closed it (thanks)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My Two Pitbulls Puppies [ 1 Answers ]

Hi When I first got my puppies I was feeding them puppy chow, I wanted to feed them something better, I brought them natural balance lamb meal & brown rice formula grain But that was not doing them good, I switch them to natural balance potato and duck grain free, wasn't good I switch them to iams...

Puppies [ 1 Answers ]

I can't tell if my dog is pregnant or not does anyone have any tips

Puppies [ 6 Answers ]

my sister and I have been wanting a little maltese or a yorkie for about 2 months, and my mom doesn't care if we get one, but we r trying to convince him into getting a dog. does anyone know any good tips on how to convince parents into getting a dog?? also, does anyone know where to find...

About: Puppies [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know the exact stages of puppies up to 6 months? I need to know because I'm not sure if my pup is developing properly Help needed ASAP Thank you

Puppies [ 1 Answers ]

My pug had two puppies they are now 8 1/2 weeks old. One just went to her new home today now the other puppy is acting kind of sad is it normal?

View more questions Search