Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2010, 07:27 AM
    Pets in a rental apartment
    On our lease it states no pets (cats,dogs, reptiles, birds) I've been told by Many Many people that a landlord can not state that unless there are medical reasons for not having pets in the home. Our upstairs neighbour (same landlord) has a cat. Yet they say no pets on the lease. Do you think it would be possible to find a way to allow me to have a pet? Where should I look. I live in Fredericton, NB Canada
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2010, 07:41 AM

Not sure about Canada, but in the USA they most certainly CAN prohibit pets in the lease.

The reason is while YOU many not be there forever... the next person to rent the unit may have severe pet allergies. Not to mention the odors certain pets can cause that you the pet owner might be used to, that are very apparent to others.

Places that rent may designate a small number of units for pet owners... or smokers that will be rented out to other pet owners or smokers. And leave the other units to be free from noxious odors or allergins for the rest of the potiential renters.

Look at it this way... how gung ho would you be to rent a place where the previous tenent chain smoked cheap cigars for years?

Just so you know... I've had many pets, I like pets, but you only rent the unit, they own it and bear the full repercussions of what is allowed long after you are gone.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2010, 07:42 AM

Your neighbor's lease may allow them to have a cat whereas your lease may state you can't have pets. Have you asked the cat neighbor if they indeed have a pets or no pets allowed in their lease? This could be your answer.

Also, some landlords don't want pets in apartments due to the damage that the pets cause such as scratching, peeing on carpets, digging carpets, etc. Some landlords in Florida didn't even want to rent to people who had kids, let alone pets!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2010, 07:47 AM

Hello b:

The above posters tried to explain WHY they have this policy...

From MY perspective, it matters not WHY they have this policy. What matters is that you AGREED to it.

excon
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2010, 08:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    binx44 agrees : i didnt agree to it i'm not the lease signee. my boyfriend is
    Doesn't matter... anyone who lives in or visits the rental unit is legally bound to abide by all rules, laws, bylaws, covenants and conditions of the lease even if their name isn't on it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pets and my apartment [ 15 Answers ]

The apartment I am currently living in does not allow dogs. I signed an agreement (NOT A LEASE) stating that no dogs were allowed. Anyway, I am leaving because I have found a dog that I wish to adopt, and found a place that will allow me to have him. However, as per the agreement, I have to...

Apartment Rental [ 7 Answers ]

What legal recourse do I have after I have been approved to lease an apartment and then two days before I am to move in the Property Manager changes their mind and says no for no reason. (All my documentation, credit report, etc. was reviewed and approved).:mad:

A new rental agreement excluding pets [ 1 Answers ]

:rolleyes: My existing landlord wants me to sign a new rental agreement excluding pets, I have a dog and my previous agreement does not include or exclude pets. This is a month to month agreement so far I have refused to sign. What are my rights?

Cannot get rid of fleas in apartment and have no pets [ 1 Answers ]

I have fleas in my apartment of one month and I cannot get rid of them. I do not own any pets nor has my furniture been exposed to any pets. The office told me the carpet had been replaced prior to my move in and they have not heard any complaints from anyone else. They have been proactive in...

Apartment rental [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings. I live in an apartment complex in Volusia County, in Florida. I have never signed a lease where I reside, and I assume that this makes me month to month, and have lived here 9 months thus far. I have been complaining about a leak from my air conditioner and its poor functioning for quite...

View more questions Search