Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2010, 10:49 AM
    Adopting a puppy possibly. Am I missing anything
    I've put in an application to adopt a very cute, sweet Catahoula Leopard dog mix and he's eleven weeks old... There's plenty of time for him, I've got supportive family members and they have agreed to allowing me to have him here. I'm still waiting on the notification if I've been accepted or not but I want to make sure I know everything I need.. its been a while since I've had a puppy. But I've also been researching his breed like crazy so I am prepared

I've got a crate, (hes currently being crated at night... ) puppy food, toys, grooming supplies, I've got a vet set up for him, in the process of trying to determine how high of a fence I need to build for the backyard (if I get him) I've got leashes, collar, food bowls, I'll have him registered with the city the day I get him... Am I missing anything guys? I call you all my online family and I'd like your input... I'll add the link for his adoption page on kijiji so you can see pictures of him

Rescue Catahoula Leopard Mix Puppy - Calgary Dogs & Puppies For Sale - Kijiji Calgary
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 2, 2010, 11:01 AM

He's adorable and his name is Jasper! My border collie is named Jasper. :)

How big will he get? What kind of energy does his breed have? I don't anything about either of his breeds but I'm sure you've done your research and have everything necessary to make him a new addition to your home.

I hope you get him. :)
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2010, 11:03 AM

They are a medium to large dog alty.. around 90 pounds at max usually. A Medium to high energy dog. Which suits me well as I'm always active now and I go out in the woods a lot. I'm not sure what he's mixed with but the catahoula leopard dog is extremely evident with him. And he does have one glass eye (blue) and the other is brown or green..
    Thank you alty I hope I get him too. I know I only lost rebel in November but I feel ready to give my love and my home to another dog. Especially since he is a rescue and deserves to be loved more than anything in the world
    *edit* -- My aunt found him online and said he looked like he deserved someone like me. Everyone who has seen his pictures says they think he would be a good dog for me. I understand with being a rescue he may come with unseen problems but I am prepared for that and plan on also taking him to obedience classes down the road

*edit again* down the road as in at the place down the road lol
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2010, 11:05 AM

Binx, he's a beautiful dog,its sounds like you have everything covered,I can't think of anything just yet,I noted that shaz had suggested a water bottle for a crate,sounds like a good idea,but maybe you have something already.

Great to see you in good form.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 2, 2010, 11:10 AM

I was reading an article on these dogs, and they can actually climb trees! If you type the name of the dog in You Tube, it shows all kinds of videos of these dogs climbing trees. It was un beleiveable
    He really is gorgeous! Sounds like to me you have every thing under control!
    Good luck!
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2010, 11:15 AM

One thing I worry about is the tiny hernia on his tummy... do those actually disappear with time.. I know of one dog with a hernia and his got worse instead of better but he is also plagued with skin problems and deformities in his front legs. (he was bought as show quality and the breeders ripped a lot of people off and sold them very sick dogs though he is in an awesome home now)
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Feb 2, 2010, 11:17 AM

This is some breed information on them:
    Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog Information and Pictures

Jasper is adorable.

Have you looked into training classes? It looks like his breed would be very happy being worked in a variety of ways like obedience training or agility.

Good luck. :)
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2010, 11:18 AM

I never thought about agility that would be loads of fun I think :D wow thanks cat
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Feb 2, 2010, 11:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by binx44 View Post
    I never thought about agility that would be loads of fun i think :D wow thanks cat
    You're welcome. :) Just remember that it will a long time before he is really mature enough physically for agility. Use these months to get him trained in obedience and to find out more about it in your area.

You are probably going to have a lot of the same training issues that border collie trainers have of keeping the dog's mind working so it doesn't get bored plus the added fun of trying to keep him contained. I have a feeling that this little guy could go over a chain link fence in a heartbeat if he thinks he could get away with it.
    Dogs Expert

Feb 2, 2010, 11:29 AM

My old neighbour had one when I was a kid, they could build no fence high enough, and he dug holes deeper then their in ground swimming pool!
    The key was like cat said to keep them pre occupied!
    And he was amazing at fly ball!
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2010, 03:08 PM

Hernias can be fixed during neuter. You can fix it at any time, but I think its easier on the dog and on you to have all surgeries done at once. Hernias typically happen when mama dog nips too close when she is removing the umbilical cord.

As for the fencing... Dogs don't typically jump fences unless they are shown. If you get a puppy young enough, and teach him that being around people is more rewarding then taking off and jumping fences, your dog will stay in any fence.

When it comes to training, I'm not a big fan of 8-12wk old puppies in obedience classes... Usually at that age its more socializing and bonding then teaching sit and stay. 5 months is a good time to start. The puppy hasn't really developed any bad behaviors at that age. I always recommend to do a puppy class then wait about 6 months to continue training classes. At that point, you can decide if you would like to do agility or more advanced classes. I never recommend Petsmart or Petco... The trainers are not that vary well trained, and their tactics don't very by what your dog needs. Good reputable trainers can be found at boarding facilities,vet offices and recommendations from other people.

But congrats on getting a puppy! They're so much fun! And the bonding is so incredibly sincere.
    Dogs Expert

Feb 2, 2010, 04:53 PM

Sorry Lucky, I disagree, the younger they start the better. Have you ever noticed that MOST times a trainers dog is SO well behaved , not saying that ALL trainers, but a lot of the ones I have been around always do, well they start their training from the minute they get the pup usually 8 weeks.
    Puppy socialization classes are great thing to start right away, puppies are quite receptive at a young age, and the earlier they learn the better for all involved. Now of course that is just my opinion.The best obedience courses for puppies are group classes where you are present with other dogs and their owners. The puppy learns how to act with other dogs, with you and other dogs, and with many different distractions. These courses simulate the distractions that dogs experience all the time, but your dog learns that you are its anchor no matter what is going on. You become the top dog, the pack leader, alpha etc.
    As a general rule the best time to begin obedience training is between 8 weeks and 18 weeks. My trainer says "if they are old enough to vaccinate, they are old enough to be enrolled in classes".

When to Start Dog Training | Dog Obedience Training

Bark Busters Dog Training, Puppy Training - In Home Dog Obedience Training

Dog obedience training tips
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2010, 04:57 PM

Honestly I agree with aurora on this one... the younger the better because also they have not picked up any bad habits and you don't need to try and change those bad habits.
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2010, 05:10 PM

I wasn't saying that its not a good idea to start obedience classes at 8wks, I just stated I'm not a big fan of it. When I taught at Petco, 8wks was the age that was recommended. Probably about 90% of the puppies that started at 8wks only had one shot. I had to mop the area with disinfectant before each class. I know not too many trainers will do that, which is always my main concern at starting at such a young age. 3 shots is preferred, but 2 is adequate. I started actual obedience classes with my own personal puppies at 4-5 months of age. Never had any issues... In fact, my dogs were always at the top of the class. There are certain windows of opportunities in puppies that are key... The bonding, which would be 8-12wks, and the understanding of one another, which happens immediately after owner and puppy bond.

Oh, and.. Puppy socialization classes are completely different from obedience classes. Puppies get frustrated too fast to push obedience at such a young age.

I guess my thoughts, techniques and advise are different from everyone else on this website that no one really gives me any credit for anything that I say. Its starting to get disheartening.
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2010, 05:34 PM

Everyone is different.. I see your still a moderately new member.. as time goes on and people get to know you, and your beliefs and ways of going about things you'll see a change... some people don't research or check information before posting.. and some of us do... please don't be disheartened.. AMHD is a community, and relationships in communities take time. :D
    Dogs Expert

Feb 2, 2010, 05:46 PM

I guess it does come across as that way Lucky, sorry.
    I wasn't trying to argue or anything, I guess that's the problem with typing, you can't read emotion unles I put a :) after every sentence. And then I think it would become foolish, and no one would take me seriously ;)
    Anyway, you are definitely entitled to your own opinion, I was just giving mine. I think that when I read your posts, you state your opinion like it is a hard known fact, instead of your opinion. But one thing I have noticed on this site is with SO many knowledgeable (and not) people on here, there is bound to be people and their opinions that clash. You gave good advice, I just disagree with the age on beginning training.

And yes, I know that puppy classes and obeidience classes are two different things.
    Dogs Expert

Feb 2, 2010, 05:47 PM
    :)
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2010, 05:53 PM

I actually do a lot of research. I read a lot of articles and observe a lot of different training techniques... I listen to everyone's story. Half the time I read great information,I never book mark it and can't ever find it again.

My career revolves around dogs. I'm going to school to be a pro. Dog trainer with my ultimate goal being a Behaviorist. I want to open a "health food" store for animals and open up a boarding kennels. My dreams are huge and I currently have $35 to my name until pay day. All my money goes to my dogs... they eat better than me :) So I guess if I posted as if I were doubting myself, it wouldn't look very good on my half. I know people aren't aware of how other posts are on here, but everyone else comes across as "my facts are more accurate than yours"... I guess its all just human nature...
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2010, 06:09 PM

Might I ask.. just out of curiosity's sake where you are attending school for this.. its one thing I've always wondered..
    Dogs Expert

Feb 2, 2010, 06:16 PM

See Lucky, that's the thing, I am not saying that you should post as you doubt yourself, I am just saying just because it's an opinion, doesn't mean it's a fact. It just so happens I disagree with most of your opinion/facts. Such as a dog not jumping a fence unless it's been taught.
    And the puppies I've had, had some of the worst bad habbits, i.e.. Chewing, barking, messing in the house, nipping etc, etc. When you take your dog to obiedience classes they are simply learning that you are the 'pack' leader, same with puppies.
    Yes they can get frustrated easier, but that is why you go to obiedience classes for puppies, most classes are pretty much self paced, and actual training time is between 20-30 minutes out of the hour class with lots of breaks in between for potty and water breaks. It's more about learning the "method behind the madness" so to speak.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Possibly pregnant.possibly [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a 22 year old male from puerto rico. These recent months have been horrible in my life and my mental stability has been a huge roller coaster ride that now appears to be at the highest peak before the steepest fall. I recently got back together with the love of my life, a beautiful woman who I...

Adopting A Puppy [ 6 Answers ]

Me and my family have always had a dog but our last one recentley died. My dad is allergic but likes dogs. Me and my mom are thinking about adopting a rescued pug puppy, my dad says no but I think I can convince him somehow, how can I?

Our rescue puppy had distemper, how long should we wait before adopting again? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I adopted a sweet and adorable little puppy from an animal shelter a few weeks ago. When we adopted her they said she had kennel cough, it only took 2 days for her to become severely sick. She held on for quite awhile but after having severe pneumonia and being in the hospital for 4...

Daschund puppy - found motionless in yard - possibly a seizure episode [ 2 Answers ]

Hello -- Yesterday evening I found one of my 10 week old puppies (we have 2) in the back yard laying motionless. Her eyes were open but not moving. She didn't respond to my voice nor touch. I could barely make out a soft whimpering when I got up close. I got a blanket, put her on it,...

Possibly infertile but possibly pregnant! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi the thing is I have been told that I might not be able to have children! But now I have had unprtected sex for 2 months now I isn't missed ma period yet but my boobs really hurt that much I can't take my bra off plus they are darker round my nipple and I keep getting light twinges of cramp...

View more questions Search