Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mikeylovesemall Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2009, 03:53 PM
    Dachshund in heat
    Any information on a 9 month old mini as to how long she stays in heat for the first time? Need to know ASAP!! Please help.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 2, 2009, 04:40 PM

Heat cycles are usually 3 weeks.

If you're asking so you can breed then this is worrisome.

Not only is she too young, but unless you know her bloodlines and genetics, you're asking for trouble.

Dachshunds have many health defects. Just because your girl doesn't, doesn't mean she won't pass down a dormant gene to her pups.

Back problems, birth defects, so many other things to be weary about when breeding dachshunds.

Wait until this heat cycle is over, then have her spayed, that's the best bet, for her and for all the unwanted dachshunds already born.

Good luck.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2009, 08:41 AM

What is it with dachshunds and heat and cycles and possibly breeding?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 3, 2009, 09:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    What is it with dachshunds and heat and cycles and possibly breeding?
    It seems to be the breed of choice lately.

So many dachshunds out there already. If you Google dachshund breeders you'll get page after page after page, most of them not legitimate breeders, just people dabbling.

I'm not sure if the OP is planning to breed, but why ask about heat cycles if you aren't? It's worrisome.

I hope the OP comes back and tells us what's going on.
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2009, 10:37 AM

They may be considering breeding which I hope they do not because we don't need more backyard breeders and sick/ ill healthed dogs. But at the same time she could just be wondering because I know if I had a female dog (which I don't mine is male lol) I'd want to know her heat cycles before even getting the breed so it wouldn't come as a shock to me when the first one came along. Though that may be because my breed of dog (the carolina dog) comes into heat three times instead of the usual twice a year that I have been told other breeds go into.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2009, 08:37 PM
    Maybe she has another dog coming over for a party and she doesn't want her dog all bloated and b*tchy.:D

Wow, that's the first time they wouldn't let me print something, I must be a good girl.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My New Dachshund Pup [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, I recently purchased a seven week old Dachshund puppy. Her name is Lyla and she is adjusting to my house very well. It has been three days. I have had Dachshunds before, but this is the first time she is 100% my responsibility. I have just a few questions. :) She is going to the bathroom...

Dachshund in heat, 1st time [ 4 Answers ]

I have a male dachshund at 18 months old. Two weeks ago, I got a female dachshund 7 months. Old. We took her to our vet and everything was great except her vulva was swollen. Her very 1st heat. Three days later she began to bleed. Today is the? 14th? Day. I had bought her a panty which ties on both...

How Long is a dachshund in heat? [ 6 Answers ]

I just adopted a 3 1/2 year old female dachshund named Honey. I have only had her for a few days and when I adopted her she had not yet been spayed. I plan on having her spayed, but before I could get her in she started showing signs that she was in heat or is getting ready to go into heat. Can...

Dachshund [ 2 Answers ]

I Have Been Taking Care Of My Brother-in-laws Two Mini Dachshunds Since He Was Called Up (army) About A Year Ago, One Of Them Has Become Very Aggressive About Everything Space, Toys, Bones, My Daughter, But I'm The One Who Does For Them, But He Sleeps With My Daughter Why Would He Start...

Dachshund [ 2 Answers ]

I just adopted a 5 year old miniature dachshund. I have noticed that she has not been eating very much. She goes over to her food dish, puts her nose down into it and pushes the food around. What does that mean?

View more questions Search