Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ljackson1980 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2009, 04:34 PM
    Roommate gone, I'm not on lease
    My roommate got arrested last week, I went to the office to find out if I could get an extra mail key and found out that I was not on the lease and the rent was due for jan. since I am not on the lease, can they make me leave, even though the person on lease is not here? What are my rights? Oh and I live in SC.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2009, 04:57 AM
    Hello l:

If you pay the rent, I don't think they'll care. But, if the rent isn't paid, they'll evict EVERYBODY in the apartment. Now, it looks like you're TWO months behind... I'd be looking for new digs.

excon
    SaraKammeraad Posts: 82, Reputation: 2

Feb 1, 2009, 05:03 AM

I would explain the situation to them and make them aware that the room mate will not be in jail forever. But that you have been staying there under the impression that you were on the lease. They will not add you to the lease without something from the room mate. I'm sure that if you pay the rent tat they will let it slide, but if they do tell you that you hve to move , legally you do not. If you live in a residence for more than 5 consecutive days you are consider a resident whether your on the lease or not. And they would have to legally evict you through court preceding which would be hard if you explained it to the judge. Hope this helps.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2009, 07:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SaraKammeraad View Post
    I would explain the situation to them and make them aware that the room mate will not be in jail forever. But that you have been staying there under the impression that you were on the lease. They will not add you to the lease without something from the room mate. I'm sure that if you pay the rent tat they will let it slide, but if they do tell you that you hve to move , legally you do not. If you live in a residence for more than 5 consecutive days you are consider a resident whether your on the lease or not. And they would have to legally evict you through court preceding which would be hard if you explained it to the judge. Hope this helps.

If OP doesn't pay rent, OP will be evicted. If OP does pay rent, the landlord will "probably" let things slide.

I'm a little confused why OP didn't know he/she was on the lease. You either sign a lease or you don't.

I'm curious about the law that a person living in a residence for more than 5 consecutive days becomes a resident. The person certainly has to be evicted but I have never heard the "5 consecutive days" rule. What State?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to Evict Roommate that broke Roommate Agreement Lease? [ 3 Answers ]

I am on a month to month lease with my landlord for 6 years now, he says technically no lease though? I have a roommate that moved in 5 months ago that is being uncooperative and broke written rules in "our" roommate agreement contract. I am trying to get her to move out but she will not, talked...

Not on lease. Am I responsible for fees after ROOMMATE voluntarily breaks lease? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in CA. I have been living with my roommate for a year and a half and her name is the only one on the lease. We both moved into the place together after having just met, but she moved in 1 month early, paid the full deposit and was and still is the only name that has ever appeared on the...

Lease renewal - roommate hasn't signed new lease but will not leave or pay rent. [ 6 Answers ]

My roommate/best friend and I have lived in the same three bedroom apartment in New Jersey for 4 years. This past year we took in a 3rd roommate that we had met through friends. Upon her moving in the 3rd roommate signed the current lease agreement, which is now due to end in a few days. About...

Roommate Not On Lease [ 1 Answers ]

I was the only person to sign lease with landlord, and I live in California. 6 months ago I took in a roommate, he never signed a lease. I have given notice to landlaod, and received a 60 day notice of termination of residential month to month tenancy. I am moving on the 1rst which legaly is the...

View more questions Search