Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2008, 06:00 PM
    The American Dingo/ Carolina dog
    As of tomorrow morning we will be bringing home Rebel a male 6 year old Carolina Dog. (also known as the american dingo) He has an awesome temperament and is everything a person could ask for in a dog. I only wonder one thing... What do they shed like. Its not like hair bothers me. I just want to be prepared for warm weather with my brushes and annoying compulsive vaccuming :D.

Do any of you own one of these wonderful unique dogs?

*did you know one of the theories about this dog is that is went backwards through evolution by being wild than becoming domestic than becoming wild and non dependent on humans again and now it is a pet again and most breeders have found no genetic problems so far like hip dysplasia (spelling)*
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 28, 2008, 06:53 PM

Hi, bin, that's interesting, you must let us know more as time goes by, i.e. how he is at home, etc. I found this website that you may be interested in for background other then what you mentioned:

News.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/03/0311_030311_firstdog.html
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2008, 07:49 PM

Congratulations!

There are some great deshedding tools that work wonders on furry dogs.

Check out the furminator. I don't own one, but I've heard rave reviews about it. It will remove unbelievable *piles* of dead fur before your couch does.

Here are a couple of video demonstrations of the furminator in action:

FURminator deShedding Products

YouTube - Tukker (15½ )and the FURminator
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2008, 06:12 AM

Thanks for the furminator and the link from tickle. Right now I'm watching him overflow with curiosity.
    This is his first time in our basement lol. He is timid of our other dog (she is a golden retrevier) his old home had five dogs and they all were bigger than him and picked on him. Even worse when the pups came along.
    He spent almost 6 hours outside with us putting up christmas decorations and almost didn't want to come back in . :D
    Though from what I've seen I don't think he has ever met a pheasant until yesterday :D. thankfully he doesn't run at them. Just stands at attention and watches. He's barked once. (at the tractor backfireing) but other than that the only noises he seems to make is when he know's he is going for a drive..

He totally thinks he is a lap dog. Lol and he loves to lay beside you wherever you are. We own Four chinchilla's too and he seems to be fine with them. Completely ignore's them.. he has met the family and besides my boyfriends father everyone like's him. His father says he looks too much like a dingo or a coyote.. once I find my usb cord I'll have to find a way to show some pics
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2008, 06:18 AM
    Wow. I just took a look at the furminator. I think I'll have to find one. That would work awesome on our other dog if it doesn't work on Rebel. Though his fur is not much shorter than the dog in the video.. :D.
    Expert

Dec 1, 2008, 06:19 AM

I am so glad he is working in, bin, foundlings are more then happy to have a good home and he will show his gratitude many different ways. You never did say where you found him ? Would be interested to know that, too.

Anything further you have to tell us about his new family life would be interesting to view. I wonder what he will think of the Christmas tree ?

Ms tickle
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2008, 06:39 AM

We got him from a friend who rescued him four years ago. He was found tied up in the woods half starving... origionally (since they did find the old owners too) he was from carolina. Though we are not sure if he was bought by someone or picked up as a wild pup. ( I know there are still wild groups of them) He knows one trick... :D if you say "put your head down" he bows and lays his head on the floor. I am not sure what he would think of the christmas tree. He doesn't even seem to know what to think of the santa outside lol. He was almost purely an outside dog because he seemed so upset and lonely in the house. Though now that he is the only one (we live in a separate area of the house and the boyfriends parents live in the other half. We have our own entrances furnace, fridge stove etc.. ) he seems to be content just staying inside until we go out. Though... if he doesn't want to come back in he won't.. so we don't make him :D He completely ignore's most everything. In fact he is ignoring me right now lol. Even though he is laying on my feet. He seems to strive on attention. But he exibits completely different tendencies and acts different than any dog I have ever owned. He kicks dirt after he uses the bathroom and burys his droppings when he is done. And he seems to do just fine on his own if he wants to be petted he comes right to you and lays down. If he thinks you are busy he will leave you alone.
    Expert

Dec 1, 2008, 04:30 PM

That's funny about him burying his droppings, wolves do that for safety reasons and probably hygiene too. Wolves are amazing animals !

Sounds like he is pretty intelligent pet. I am glad he has you. He could, by virtue of his existence, been the most unlucky dog in the world !

Ms tickle
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Dec 1, 2008, 05:26 PM

Here's a little page on them I found

http://www.carolinadogs.com/index.html
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2008, 09:31 AM

Thanks Silver :D

Ms tickle: maybe he does it for the same reasons lol. He can be an odd one at times. He'll eat out of his bowl sometimes but other times he won't eat it unless you put it on his bed (weird huh) he has his moods I guess.. could be because he is still ajusting. I'm glad he didn't stop eating. I guess when they first got him (the previous owners) he wouldn't eat for a few days unless they hand fed him. But I am guessing that was because he was tramatized. More often than not he'll take a HUGE mouthful of food. Take it to his bed, lay down and then eat it. I was thinking maybe he doesn't like metal bowls for his food. Maybe I should try a ceramic or plastic one
    Expert

Dec 2, 2008, 10:02 AM

Plastic or ceramic, not recommended, simply because they soak up too much bad stuff and are unhygienic. He will get used to the metal bowl, they are easily cleaned and sanitized.
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2008, 10:51 AM

That is why I bought them I've just never had a dog that wouldn't eat out of them at times... I took him on our first walk off property (we own around 4 acers**spelling** so he's been walked around the whole property line a lot these last few days) we decided to walk down to the gas station which is a 20 to 25 minute walk one way. He pulled only occasionally though I only think its because he seems obsessed with marking his territory lol and I had to hold on tight once when he saw some road kill that I didn't... glad he couldn't reach it from the road but he sure tried. Now that we're home he's pooped lol. All that excitement seems to make him tired so for now he's back to sleeping under the computer desk since of course,, I'm sitting there
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2008, 07:28 AM

Well our first incident has occurred. Sadly right when my boyfriend got off a 14 hour work shift we had to take rebel to the vet silly little boy stuck his head in some bushes and poked his eye. Boy wasn't it swollen and horrid looking. Got him there. Weighed him 35.5 pounds... boy wasn't he a good dog at the vet. Just stood there for her. She gave us some drops and flea meds *poor guy has fleas too but not no more* within two days his eye was back to normal and he is alll better
    Expert

Dec 12, 2008, 08:55 AM

Glad you go through that one, binny. It's a wonder he didn't poke his eye out. My taffydog likes getting down on her side when we are walking and pushing her head through the snow. I am always mindful of sticks in the ground poking up and getting her. So try not to let he do that.
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2008, 10:25 AM

Thanks tickle *huggles* I'm so glad it wasn't worse. We were out looking around this morning and turns out what we thought was a bush under the snow was in fact straw covering a strawbery patch that we didn't even know someone had planted. (its always nice when the snow is gone after storm lol)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

South Carolina [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me what city is half way from Dallas Texas to Greenville South Carolna

Nude beaches- North Carolina or South Carolina? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi! I'm looking for a nude beach near myrtle beach but I'm not having any luck. Does anyone know where one is? Thank you blusia

South carolina evictions [ 4 Answers ]

We are having a problem and I'm looking for a little advice... ok here goes... We own 12 acres of land in sc. Our immediate family are the only ones that have the right to stay on it unless given permission from my mom or uncle... they are the ones the lands name is in.. My brother allowed my 18...

South carolina [ 2 Answers ]

I was served a judgement today for a old credit card debt I live in South Carolina it was with providian bank and cach llc has it now. They would call me I hadn't worked in 4 years and was disable trying to get my disability they would not take payments they wanted the whole amount and I counldn't...

View more questions Search