Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    UKDgirl Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2008, 08:22 AM
    How to calm my German Shepherd down!
    Hello everyone, I have 2 dogs one of which is 8 and a german shepherd he is a full pedigree and every time a member of my family attempts to leave the house he goes crazy to the extent of biting. I have had my dog since he was 6 weeks old and he was castrated last year which did make a huge difference but not when we leave the house. Also if people are walking past the house I think he feels threatened as he goes crazy then also. Other than this you couldn't wish to meet a nicer dog. I really do need to calm him down or people are going to stop visiting me!
    Rickaroo Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2009, 07:02 PM

My German Shepherd use to go crazy when we left.. she ate more TV remotes than I care to remember and everyday something new was destroyed.. but what we did was right before we were ready to leave we would send her downstairs with a cool treat and sneak out while she was occupied. We noticed that she doesn't get as anxious when she doesn't actually see you leave her behind. It's simple and it won't hurt to try..
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Mar 22, 2009, 08:04 PM

It sounds like you have a real dominance issue on your hands. The problem is you are not the boss, your dog is. This can and obviously has, lead to real behavioral problems.
    Many people mistake every day signs of dominance as "loving" gestures when in fact your dog is saying "I'M the boss. You need to reassert yourself as "head of the pack".

You are going to want to avoid any form of physical punishment. Getting physical with a dominant dog can make him even more dangerous and intensify his aggression.

One technique I've heard of is to have your dog to work for everything he gets from you. Have your dog obey at least one command such as "sit" or "lay down" before you pet him, give him dinner, put on his leash, throw him a toy or anything else you may do with your dog. If your dog doesn't know any commands or doesn't perform them consistently, you'll first have to teach him, using positive reinforcement techniques, and practice with him daily.

Do not give your dog table scraps.

Don't allow your dog on the furniture or your bed unless you invite them to because this is a privilege reserved for leaders.

Do not let the dog jump up on you.

I would also recommend Caesar Milan's book Be the Pack Leader.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Mar 22, 2009, 09:58 PM

You are not the packleader in your home. You are letting your dogs take that role. Your dog is feeling anxious when you leave. Sneaking out on him will only enhance his experience of abandonment, and make him more aggressive towards other dogs/children/... or other intruders in general. He feels like he is not only in charge, but he is your guardian! You leave the house, and it is his! Anyone coming close is a threat!

He should have NEVER been taken from his mother and littermates by six weeks of age. This is likely why he is having problems now. He didn't have enough time to be socialized, and cared for by his mother. He now has insecurity issues, coupled with dominance, when you are not around. This is a bad combo.

I agree with Silver. Try reading Cesar Millan's book, and take a look at this video. It may give you a little more understanding about how dogs behave.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...85827312960989

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Help something is wrong with my German Shepherd [ 2 Answers ]

Samathia is my baby. I bought her from a VERY bad breeder, I know that is a lot of the problem. She will be 2 years old in May. She can't get on my bed without crying. Her hind legs hardly work. I know this can be caused by hip dysplasia(?) I give her gluclose, but it doesn't seem to work....

Pregnant german shepherd [ 7 Answers ]

Hi there my nine year old german shepherd is 50 days into her pregnancy and she appears to keep wetting herself she is drinking a lot as well I don't think she realises she is doing it as she normally is a very clean dog I've had her since she was three months old is this a normal thing in...

German Shepherd [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I've got a 12 month GSD with quite a few problems. He is very dominant. I can't go near his food bowl when he's eating, when I take him for a walk I have to keep him on a lead otherwise he runs off, if any other dog comes near he tries to attack it. I don't work during the day and I got...

German Shepherd [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 1 1/2 year old male German Shepherd. He is highly socialized and has been through training. He has never had any real aggression other than the barking at strangers when entering the home. He was neutured at six months. Yesterday, I was at a college event outside at the park. A friend...

German Shepherd Training [ 8 Answers ]

I have a German Shepherd pup who like most German Shepherds is very intelligent. I am in the process of training her and I have run into some problems. It seems she get's a little nervous while working and then get's confused and want's to hide or run in circles with her ears back. She is never...

View more questions Search