Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Charlece Carswell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2008, 02:45 PM
    How can I find out who claim my child, and how can I get my money back.
    How may I find out who claim my child, and how can I get my money back. Well I want to know what will happen if the father claim the child and he doesn't give the money to the mother. How would the mother get her money back.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 06:21 PM
    If you feel that you are the rightful person to claim your child as a dependent, file your 2007 taxes that way. If your ex has already claimed the child, then you may find that you can't efile, as the IRS system will automatically reject your filing (stupid computers!). So you will have to file a paper return by mail. The IRS will then contact both you and your ex to see who is the rightful claimant of the child. Generally, the parent who is custodial has the rightful claim, unless there is a pre-existing divorce or separation decree that states otherwise. Be prepared to provode evidence that the child is your dependent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I claim babysitting money for taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a stay-at-home dad. I babysit another child at his home 25 hours a week, making $250 per week. The family is from Israel. My wife and I want to do taxes, but they haven't done their paperwork to claim they have a "nanny" working for them. Do I claim my earnings or not? I never filled out...

How to claim money without 1099 or w2 form [ 3 Answers ]

My husband earned some income flight instructing for a man who didn't withhold or supply any 1099 or w2 forms. What do we do to remain legal? I usually have filed taxes using tubotax, will I still be able to use that? Thank you for any advice.

Retired, receiving social security benefits, can I claim 3 dependents and get money? [ 3 Answers ]

My father is retired and only collects about $900 a month in social security benefits (his only income) and has 3 kids under the age of 18, can he still claim them as 3 dependents and get money even though his social security benefits are not taxable? Thanks.

How much money do you have to make in order to claim taxes [ 2 Answers ]

How much money do you have to make in order to claim taxes

View more questions Search