Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmg422 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jan 6, 2008, 05:31 PM
    Mini-dachshund can't eat cooked meat anymore . Why?
    Prior to about 3 months ago, my mini-dachshund could enjoy a nice treat of cooked chicken or turkey and have no repercussions. Since she was spayed, every time she eats cooked meat, she gets diarrhea (obviously I am not giving it to her anymore). I was wondering what would cause this new development. Could it be the spaying? Something else? Please advise. Thank you!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2008, 06:31 PM
    What does your vet say? It might take an extensive examination doing blood work to check allergies and liver and pancreas function, etc. to find out why. Even a little meat could seriously unbalance such a small dog's diet.

As I think about it, I can hardly say if spaying would have any effect on it since very few of the dogs I am familiar with are ever given any meat. They are carefully fed dog chow, dog treats, and very little else. They all thrive on such diets, seldom having any digestive problems.

My advice is to either pay the vet whatever it costs to find out, or just stick to a dog chow. While some people get away with feeding their dog this and that and don't notice any problems with their handful of personal dogs, the safest thing to do is stick to dog chow. It is a very well proven technique.
    jmg422 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jan 6, 2008, 07:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmg422
    Prior to about 3 months ago, my mini-dachshund could enjoy a nice treat of cooked chicken or turkey and have no repercussions. Since she was spayed, every time she eats cooked meat, she gets diarrhea (obviously I am not giving it to her anymore). I was wondering what would cause this new development. Could it be the spaying? Something else? Please advise. Thank you!
    Thank you very much for your help. I will certainly stick to the chow from now on.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2008, 04:10 PM
    Jmg, I agree with labman. Spaying wouldn't cause this to occur. It may be that as your dog has aged, she has a developed an allergy to chicken. This is common in many dogs. The smartest thing to do is to just cut out the human food if she is doing fine on her dog chow. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mini Dachshund confussed on where to potty [ 4 Answers ]

My 3 1/2 month old mini dachshund seems confussed on potty training. She will poop and pee outside when she wakes in the morning. She will Poop outside 99% of the time. She wants to Pee inside. We will take her Out and she will stay for 10-45 minutes and nothing. Then when we bring her In she...

Mini Dachshund Breeding [ 27 Answers ]

Hello, I have a mini dachshund she is around 10 months old and weighs 3.1kg's. I would like to have a litter from her, not for money purposes or flash purebred breeding but just for the sheer pleasure of having a litter of puppies from my beautiful little girl. She had her first season at about...

Mini dachshund and 3 day old pup [ 3 Answers ]

The mommy doesn't want to keep her puppy in the kennel, or box, or anywhere... but on our blanket on the couch. We have tried to make her comfy in her bed but she insists on taking the puppy back to the couch. Is there any suggestions to keep her and the pup in her kennel? Or box?:confused: Thanks

Mistreated mini dachshund [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a one year old mini dachsund about 2mths ago. We were told that they were selling her bc/ their other 2 dogs didn't get along with her. One was her size, the other Was a large size. She had been treated badly. Once I got her home, she had abscess on Her stomach at many different...

Weight for mini dachshund [ 1 Answers ]

I have a mini black/ tan dachshund and he is 9 months old and seems to me to be too skinny. What is the ideal weight for one?

View more questions Search