Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nunu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2007, 04:55 PM
    Dog breeding
    Is it true that if a dog has puppies and then you keep one if you mate the puppy with the father does this make the blood line thick meaning does it make a better breed or does this cause problems as it does in humans
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2007, 05:24 PM
    Interbreeding like that concentrates the genes. It increases the chances of the offspring inheriting the same 2 recessive genes. This can be good or bad. At least with dogs, bad results can be discarded. Good ones can be bred further. Perhaps all yellow Labs trace back to one male in England. To produce more yellow Labs he was bred to his daughters.

I hope this is just a question out of curiosity. A general Q&A site such as AMHD is totally inadequate when it comes educating yourself in order to do quality breeding. http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/images/breeding-off.jpg is a step forward, but you really need to read some books starting with say Successful Dog Breeding, by Chris Walkowicz, DMV You should also read some books devoted to the breed you are interested in. Many others here and I, actually anybody that knows and loves dogs, hate the results from those that don't know or care enough to do it right. It is tough for us to be nice to people abusing dogs through poor breeding practices.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Breeding [ 7 Answers ]

If My Pitbull tied with my golden retriever and then the next day tied with a lab what would the pups be. Is it possible to have pups from both the GR and Lab?

Breeding [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 18 mth old female mastiff x ridgeback and I would like to know how often the larger breed dogs go on heat. She has already had one season which was Oct/Nov 06. Please help... :confused:

Dog breeding. [ 1 Answers ]

How old does a toy fox terrier have to be before she can have puppies?

Dog breeding [ 6 Answers ]

18 months ago a women my wife works with was selling 2 male pure breed Daschound puppies. She said they were $600 a piece or both for $1000. When we agreed to buy the dogs they added that we would give them two free breeds (matting sessions). One with each dog. We gave them $800 with the rest...

Breeding [ 2 Answers ]

When the female comes in heat is it best to keep her in her familiar environment Or should we take her to the stud

View more questions Search