Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kimkratzy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2010, 06:52 PM
    Breeding daschound
    I was wanting to breed with my female daschund.My nephew has a male. They have same mother but different father, can we breed them?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 20, 2010, 07:10 PM

I'm a cat person, but will ask a few basic questions until the dog people see your post and offer suggestions.

1) Why do you want to breed your dog?

2) Have you studied thoroughly about breeding itself and blood lines/inherited conditions, dog pregnancy and its problems, delivery/birth and problems, how to care for new puppies and their mother, emergency situations, etc.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Feb 20, 2010, 07:13 PM

This is a bad idea. They're way too closely related to breed. Dachshunds have too many genetic infirmities to reinforce this much.

Is there a specific reason this girl needs to be bred?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2010, 07:29 PM

You have to be very, very careful when breeding dogs who are related. Like Cats said, you are basically doubling up on any problems the dog has.
    So if the mother had any health problems, you are doubling the puppies chances of also having a problem.

Line breeding is only done by show people when they are trying to keep a specific trait, it is very risky, and you do need to have an understanding of genetics to even attempt it.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Feb 21, 2010, 04:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Line breeding is only done by show people when they are trying to keep a specific trait, it is very risky, and you do need to have an understanding of genetics to even attempt it.
    This is too close a relationship to even be called line breeding.

Brother/sister causes birth defects.
    I'm no geneticist but this one has been known for several millennia.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 21, 2010, 09:11 AM

Oops sorry didn';t mean to say goos site. Been up for too long.

http://members.tripod.com/marge_s_2/...inbreeding.htm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Daschound peeing constantly [ 1 Answers ]

My son's daschound constantly pees when excited. What can he do- the puppy is six months old

Daschound Peeing in the house [ 3 Answers ]

My 5 year old doxie was house broken but the last 3 or 4 weeks she has started to pee in the house. She has a doggie door that she always has used in the past but now she will pee 2 to 3 feet in front of the door. We are not home all day because we work, but we have always worked from the time...

Daschound puppies [ 2 Answers ]

Our daschound had a litter of 3, now they are 7 weeks old. 2 of them seem to have a neck problem. Most of the time they hold their head crooked, but then sometimes it appears to be no problem. Does anyone have any idea what this could be and anything to do for it?

My name is Kathaleen and I have a two year old daschound [ 2 Answers ]

Angel Baby is a miniature daschound she a tiny little girl and she has just became pregnet and I am wondering what is the length of a daschound pregnancy? She is currently five weeks along and since this is our first pregnancy I am needing a little counseling.:confused:

My Daschound ate choclate, what should I do! [ 2 Answers ]

I just got home from school, and I saw wrappers on the floor. There was atleast 7 chocolate kisses eaten, and some type of chocolate thing it was the size of an egg, or a little bigger and it was made of all chocolate. What do i do, and what are the symptoms???

View more questions Search