Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alysonlinkous Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2008, 10:07 AM
    Chihuahua's and aspirin
    My chihuahua got an aspirin last night and today he is acting like he can hardly walk. He acts like his back legs are stiff and he drags them. Mostly he is just laying around. Do you think this is a side affect of the aspirin or something else? If it is the aspirin what is the best thing to do about it?
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Jun 7, 2008, 10:25 AM
    Why did he need the aspirin in the first place, did a vet prescribe it, you just gave it to him, or he swallowed it by accident? Aspirin could cause kidney failure with symptoms like you describe especially some aspirins that have caffeine added. Get him to vet ASAP
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2008, 11:00 AM
    Assuming it was an aspirin for humans, its probably as if a 160 pound person took about 15 aspirin tablets. Could cause bleeding too. Many areas have emergency vets too.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2008, 03:40 PM
    Yes, take him to the vet asap! I know that cats aspirin is dangerously toxic to cats. It can kill them. I'm also concerned because of how small your dog is.
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Jun 7, 2008, 08:43 PM
    That's a big dose for a tiny dog! Was he already having a little trouble walking before?
    Aside from the side effects of the aspirin that the folks above have described, it sounds like he may have slipped a disc in his back. He needs to see the vet immediately.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Aspirin for a 6 yr old doxie [ 6 Answers ]

Recently I took my Dachshund to the vet for his shots. The day before I took him in he just started moving slowly but still had an appetite and his poop was fine. The vet told me he has a knee problem and to give him ½ a baby aspirin when he is in pain. The first day the ½ baby aspirin worked. ...

Can I give my German Shepard an aspirin? [ 1 Answers ]

My German Sheppard has been sick for over a week, he was having diarrhea on and off, when I was going to take him to the Vet, my neighbor said that her 2 dogs and other dogs in our neighborhood were sick too. Today his head is warm and his nose is dry, any one knows if I can give my dog an...

Baby aspirin and miscarriage [ 1 Answers ]

Has anybody got any experience of using this to prevent miscarriage. I will talk to my doc but am interested what people think. There are conflicting things on the net.

Fish oil and aspirin [ 2 Answers ]

Is taking fish oil supplements a day beneficial like aspirin? I am wary because aspirin is hard on the stomach.

View more questions Search