Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    philsue39 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2010, 01:51 AM
    What milk can I give my newborn pups as mum is not producing enough
    My shihtzu gave birth 4 days ago to 6 pups but she is not a big eater and is bot producing enough milk for all of them 2 seem to be crying all the time she is tired with trying to feed them all please help
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Oct 12, 2010, 08:27 AM

I have read others posting that there is a milk you can feed the pups. I would call my vet and ask them. You could also take mommy in for a check up to make sure everything is OK with her(never know the vet may have an idea of what to do about the lack of milk being produced)
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2010, 09:48 AM

What are you feeding mom? Sometimes the moms don't make milk right away. Feed her a high quality puppy food. Keep in mind anything you feed her goes right through her body and goes towards her pups. Puppy food helps produce milk, keeps fat on the mama and also plumps up the puppies.

A Vet will give a hormone shot. Take her in and see if they feel its necessary to do this. You should take her and the pups in anyway to make sure everyone is OK. Sometimes the vet won't give the shot and just let nature take its course. Dogs don't produce lots of milk right after birth. They create more milk as the pups get older.

I'm sure she is producing enough milk. Take her off them for about an hour and try and milk her and see what you get. Puppies (especially new borns) will keep her very drained. If you take her off for about an hour, she should bag out pretty good.

The puppies that you feel arnt getting enough food, you can supplement them. I don't really like the store brand milk. I think it's a bunch of crap to be honest. There is a good recipe for home made milk... Its goat milk, yogurt, egg yolk and sugar water. Get a "new born" human baby bottle and nipple and make sure that its very soft and easy to get stuff through. Puppies will exhaust themselves trying to get food. Keep the puppies on mom and just check on them every once in awhile to make sure that they have full bellies. Some puppies can be cry babies too.

Even though your dog is a first time mom, dogs do know how to take care of their babies. She's learning on what to do just as much as you are. She'll take care of them. Just keep an eye on her and them and help out when needed.
    philsue39 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2010, 10:23 AM
    Comment on Lucky098's post
    Hi thanks for that I have just sent for a supplement just in case, I glad I know the milk will be more productive as the pups get older. I will use the receipe for home made milk you printed thank you. The mum is doing great. Thanks for your time x
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2010, 08:11 AM

Leerburg | Bottle Feeding Puppies

Here is the actual reciepe for the milk and additional information on orphaned puppies.
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2010, 05:21 AM

It seems this question already has a great answer, but I'd like to add that my vet has "puppy bottles", you don't have to buy the supplement you cam just buy the bottle, I think it would be best to use that since it is very small and won't confuse the pups too much about moms nipple and the bottles nipple. If the pups start to loose weight chances are mom is not producing enough, but if there gaining weight and look healthy there fine. Buy a scale you weigh food on, it worked wonders when my ferret was a baby and I needed to see if I was feeding the fatty too much (he ate about 1 1/2 cups a day and he was only the size of my hand!)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Instant Medication of Producing Breast Milk [ 2 Answers ]

May I know what is instant medication for producing breast milk without have any pregnancy? If I take Lactare with Perinorm Tablet, is it OK for instant milk supply in my breast. Wht dose I should take for instant supply of breast milk? Pl.tell me at the earliest. Thanks Jignesh.

Rights of a newborn baby can the father refuse to give the newborn back [ 3 Answers ]

A teenage who is 17 just had a baby and the father who is 16 is trying to take the newborn who is 5 days old.Can he do that

Newborn pups with fleas [ 2 Answers ]

What safe treatment can be used when newborn pups have fleas? The mother has been treated but do not know what to use for the puppies. They are 5 days old. Thanks

Cat still producing milk [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, my cat has recently been separated from young,kittens .she appears confused and is carrying swollen sacs of milk,is there anything I cando to help her through this ,she is very clingy

View more questions Search