Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 17, 2007, 05:07 AM
    I know they make good science experts!
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2007, 05:15 AM
    CaptinRich, you surely kid!

Daschund_love, please consider the following points:

1. Young capuchins are very cute and cuddly, however most behavioral problems occur when a juvenile capuchin reaches sexual maturity. They can become very strong and aggressive. Males grow large, dangerous canines. Pet owners can be severely injured from bites. Many pet owners pull out the canines in order to make their pet more "manageable."

2. Wild capuchins are known as destructive foragers, meaning that when they search for food they tear apart and uproot trees and plants in order to look for food. Just think what they can do to homes!

3. Capuchins have a complex diet. Most pet owners will not be able to provide their capuchins with the proper nutrition for a healthful life.

4. Most local veternarians are not trained to take care of exotic pets like capuchin monkeys and frequently deny service to owners of these type of pets.

5. Capuchins are long lived animals. With proper care and nutrition, they can live over 40 years in captivity.

6. Capuchins and other nonhuman primates may carry diseases and parasites that can be transmitted to humans.

7. Capuchins are highly social animals that need to be with their own kind for proper mental and emotional development. Many capuchin owners complain that their monkey has become psychotic and begin biting, scratching and acting very aggresively towards humans. This is mainly attributed to lack of contact with members of their own species.

8. Many pet dealers illegally breed, import, and sell their animals, and they may not attend to the complex needs of these animals.

9. Infants are often taken away from their mothers at an early age to be sold as pets. Not only is this traumatic for the mother and the infant, but this can lead to emotional and developmental problems later in the infant's life.

10. Capuchins cannot be toilet trained. Many are put in diapers which can cause serious rashes and irritations.

Information from Living Links Capuchin Lab

For me, number 7 is the deal breaker, I wouldn't put another animal through such torment.
    Please get a dog or something instead :)
    dachshund_love Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2007, 07:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    CaptinRich, you surely kid!

Daschund_love, please consider the following points:

1. Young capuchins are very cute and cuddly, however most behavioral problems occur when a juvenile capuchin reaches sexual maturity. They can become very strong and aggressive. Males grow large, dangerous canines. Pet owners can be severely injured from bites. Many pet owners pull out the canines in order to make their pet more "manageable."

2. Wild capuchins are known as destructive foragers, meaning that when they search for food they tear apart and uproot trees and plants in order to look for food. Just think what they can do to homes!

3. Capuchins have a complex diet. Most pet owners will not be able to provide their capuchins with the proper nutrition for a healthful life.

4. Most local veternarians are not trained to take care of exotic pets like capuchin monkeys and frequently deny service to owners of these type of pets.

5. Capuchins are long lived animals. With proper care and nutrition, they can live over 40 years in captivity.

6. Capuchins and other nonhuman primates may carry diseases and parasites that can be transmitted to humans.

7. Capuchins are highly social animals that need to be with their own kind for proper mental and emotional development. Many capuchin owners complain that their monkey has become psychotic and begin biting, scratching and acting very aggresively towards humans. This is mainly attributed to lack of contact with members of their own species.

8. Many pet dealers illegally breed, import, and sell their animals, and they may not attend to the complex needs of these animals.

9. Infants are often taken away from their mothers at an early age to be sold as pets. Not only is this traumatic for the mother and the infant, but this can lead to emotional and developmental problems later in the infant's life.

10. Capuchins cannot be toilet trained. Many are put in diapers which can cause serious rashes and irritations.

Information from Living Links Capuchin Lab

For me, number 7 is the deal breaker, I wouldnt put another animal through such torment.
    Please get a dog or something instead :)
    Thank you
    munchkin23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2011, 09:31 AM
    Yes but males can be aggressive. Males grow large fangs and are more aggressive than females. If u get a baby capuchin then you have to look after it properly. Its like looking after a human baby so it needs the right diet and a lot of attention. But if u get a baby capuchin when it grows up it will unlikely attack you. If you are worried about having a fully grown capuchin with fangs then it may be possible to get them removed.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 10, 2011, 09:35 AM

Please check dates before posting.

This thread was started in 2007 and the OP hasn't been back since.

Thread closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Insurance for Pets [ 1 Answers ]

I have been searching for a good pet insurance policy. Does anyone know a good pet insurance company? And does anyone know of any pet insurance company that covers pre-existing conditions?

My pets are interesting and weird. [ 2 Answers ]

I have this puppy and cat. My puppy is 5 months old and for some reason, she likes to sit in the cats litter box after I clean it. She doesn't eat the cat crap or anything, she just sits in it and sometimes takes her toys or on a bad day, she takes my socks in there with her! How can I get her...

Test Your Knowledge about Pets! [ 10 Answers ]

Here is a fun short quiz that I found: Pets: Test your knowledge about cats & dogs: Fine Living IQ Quiz : Fine Living For those of you who do well, come back and help others with questions. For those who don't do well, hmm, errr, umm, maybe you should think twice about answering questions?:p...

Female Capuchins As Pets [ 2 Answers ]

Do female capuchin monkeys make better pets over male capuchins? Is it best to get the teeth removed? If I am going to own a capuchin monkey from the age of seven months, what do you think would be the best way to go about it with all the things I read about attacks and biting? I would think female...

Toxic chemicals and pets [ 4 Answers ]

Recently my wife sprayed her hair with Aqua Net unsented hair spray extra super hold. She was unaware that our dog was in the bathroom with her. The spray got into the dogs nose and it started caughing and gaging. Within 10 minutes the dog started seizing and convulsing. The spray contains the...

View more questions Search