Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Nov 30, 2010, 06:32 AM
    Owen and separation anxiety
    I have been with Owen almost all of the time as I got fired from work shortly after we got him. I am now working again and it seems to bother him that I am not at home with him. He is now taking my slippers, gloves etc when I am not at home(also it seems like no one is home when he does this). When I do find the object that is chewed to bits I tell him No and leave it(he has learned that command in dog obedience class).

I do make sure my boy gets lots of love and attention from me. If hubby is driving me he gets to go in the car to drop me off and pick me up. He loves the car. He is almost 9 months old not sure if that matters. He is also very hyper as his walking and exercise time depends on his elbow displesia. When he is limping we of course take him home or don't take him out for walks.

Can I do anything else to help him not chew my things? I don't think he is doing it for lack of toys as he does have his ropes and stuffies that he knows he can chew on.

Susan and Owen
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Nov 30, 2010, 11:58 AM

The surefire way to avoid anxious or just bored chewing would be to crate while you are away. Make sure you give him lots of appropriate things to do in there. Nyla bones, chew toys and water are great things to include in your crate.

It doesn't really sound like separation anxiety, but it could definitely become anxiety. Sounds like he may just be bored. He's in his young teen stage, and just hasn't figured out what to do with himself when he is left alone.
    Just_Another_Lemming Posts: 437, Reputation: 211

Dec 1, 2010, 04:08 PM

Susan, I agree with AB. At 9 months old he is still a puppy and gets bored easily. The fact that he is picking things with your scent on them is very normal. Those items give him comfort while you are out of the house. If no one is home to supervise and correct his behavior, he will not leave your things alone. Please crate him until he outgrows this stage. It is the only thing that work and it will keep him safe from ingesting something that may cause a blockage.
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Dec 5, 2010, 09:36 PM

Thank you all. We will be crating him when we go out. I do feel bad with confining him in his crate but will make sure he has toys to play with while in there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Separation Anxiety [ 47 Answers ]

Hello, This weekend I went away for hockey provincials, and had to leave my dog behind. When I got back my mom said that all he did was cry at my bedroom door, when she let him in my room he laid on my bed and whimpered. He didn't eat or drink. There is also two other dogs here which he usually...

Separation anxiety [ 11 Answers ]

Ok, so we have a 6mth old retriever border collie cross whom we got from shelter. We got him started on housetraining and everything was going very well. He would go outside and go pee on the deck or go poop around the side of the house in the yard and we have gotten to the point where there were...

Does my Italian Greyhound have separation anxiety? [ 1 Answers ]

To start, me and my husband have had our dog for about 9 months now and he is 11 months old. He is very well house trained when we are at home with him, knows several tricks, etc. He's a great dog. We have a few concerns though. Let me start with his history a little. When we first got him...

Excessive drool in crate/seperation anxiety? [ 1 Answers ]

We rescued a 10 month old mastiff/lab puppy about a week ago, gentle as can be, very smart, learns quickly, loves the kids, just an amazing dog... he is not at all a drooler, but when he goes into his crate and we leave, he drools gallons (and I mean gallons). I know he has been stressed by being...

View more questions Search