Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vica74 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2009, 05:57 PM
    Flea Infested 2 weeks Puppies
    [F]:confused:
    Please help, we have 2 weeks puppies that are infested with fleas! What can we buy or do to get rid of them? We are afraid since they are very young!
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Apr 16, 2009, 07:12 PM

I am assuming you are a backyard breeder! These are the things that happen when you breed dogs when you don't know what you are doing, and the puppies have to suffer for that.

Fleas can be very dangerous to young puppies and can result in the puppies dying from anemia so you do need to kill these fleas NOW! If the puppy is with it's mother and nursing it is more than likely that the mother dog has a flea infestation so FIRST you need to TREAT THE MOTHER. If there are other cats or dogs in the household you need to treat all pets, as well as your HOUSE!

The safest way to treat a puppy under 6 weeks of age for fleas is to bathe him using warm water and Dawn dishwashing detergent and then to manually pick off remaining fleas. Dawn dishwashing soap is the most gentle, and will kill the fleas, but they will get infestated again if you don't scrub you house from top to bottom!

Fill your sink or tub with warm water, and Dawn dish soap. (Test the temperature as if you were giving a baby a bath). Immerse the puppy up to his neck and ensure that he is saturated. Wet his face and head with a face cloth. Then lift him out and place him on a warm towel. Gently massage in the detergent. Massage the soap all over his body and around his neck, ears, face, head and under his chin, being very careful not to get soap in his eyes. The fleas are not stupid, and will head for the high dry ground of the head area.

Then put him back in the water for a rinse. If he is not fighting and struggling too much try to keep him submerged, except for their heads of course, for a few minutes. If he is distressed get the job over and done as quickly as possible. Having two people perform this is easier. One to hold the puppy and one to massage and wash the puppy. When finished wrap him up in a warm dry towel and dry him off. Try to do this in a warm atmosphere and don't let him get cold.

Get a flea comb, and apply vaseline to it, so the fleas can't escape from the comb, and have a pot of "boiling" water to dip the comb in after every flea you get. Then you will have to get the rest with your fingers! I sure hope you've got several hrs. to do each, because that is what it is going to take, and the responsibility you took on when you decided to breed your dog without any knowledge! These puppies are suffering!

When you are done this, make an EMERGENCY VET APPT. and get those poor pups and their mother into the VET ASAP! The above method is just a quick fix. DO NOT use ANY flea shampoo's, powders, collars, or ANY chemicals on those little babies!
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2009, 08:45 PM
    Starbuck8
    I'm sure you are getting tired of answering these, but every time you answer you are helping some one and hopefully the one you are talking to.
    Thanks for keeping it up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Flea Bath for puppies [ 2 Answers ]

To Whom It May Concern: My puppies are only 4 weeks old and I am noticing that they have fleas like a lot is it okay for me to give them a flea bath and if not what can I do to get rid of the fleas. Please help me!! Thank You Tabatha...

New born puppies infested with fleas [ 1 Answers ]

My Dog Just Had Her First Litter On Sept. 16 And The New Born Puppies Are Infested With Fleas Left And Right. My Husband And I Sat And Try To Pick Them Off One By One But For Some Reason For Every Flea We Pick There Is 3 More And So On. What Is The Best Way To Rid These Fleas From My New Born...

My puppies have flea [ 2 Answers ]

My puppies were born on the 17th of sept and have fleas really bad. I want to know when I can use a flea shampoo on them.

2 week kittens flea infested [ 1 Answers ]

Yes I was wondering if anyone would know if it is OK to use vinger water on 2 week old kittens... We have found a mother and took her in and she gave birth 2 5 kittens... and now all of them are infested with fleas bad... I need to know if there is anything cheap we can use for them... I heard...

Puppies has flea [ 1 Answers ]

My new born puppies (1 week old) already has a few fleas on them. They caught if from the mom when she was running outside. What should I can do? I don't think its good to bathe them yet. Should I use flea ponder? What do you recommend. I am very scared, I don't know what to do... I need help.

View more questions Search