Ask
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jun 18, 2011, 07:11 PM
    Thanks, Shaz and Red. :)

Name:  dresden body shot 2a.JPG
Views: 70
Size:  10.3 KB

He's approximately 21-22 inches. Like Chloe, he doesn't like being measured.

He has freckling on his legs and muzzle that gives him a bit of a 'muddy' look.

His tail is strong and thick from dock to tip.

He has a broad head and thick neck.

He really does not bark very much. It is more of a yip.

Cats says that he uses his paws like a Boxer, but I haven't seen him use them any differently than most other dogs we've had that definitely weren't Boxers.

He is very intelligent and is picking up our commands rather quickly.
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Jun 18, 2011, 07:33 PM

I may be a bit late but congrats on the new family members.

Bella , when he grows into those legs you may need a saddle for him. ;) Great looking pup.

Cat , that is a sturdy and intelligent dog for sure. He emits that message through those "sparkling with intelligence" eyes.
    Nice find , I'm thinking you are going to make each other very happy.:D
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Jun 18, 2011, 10:22 PM

Wednesday is the day that we fly home (Nova Scotia) with Owen to visit family and friends. I will be sure to take pictures of him and Ryu to post here. Wish I could be showing all of his hard work on obedience to the rest of you as well but sigh pictures and my bragging will have to do.

Susan
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 18, 2011, 11:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    Thanks, Shaz and Red. :)

Name:  dresden body shot 2a.JPG
Views: 70
Size:  10.3 KB

He's approximately 21-22 inches. Like Chloe, he doesn't like being measured.

He has freckling on his legs and muzzle that gives him a bit of a 'muddy' look.

His tail is strong and thick from dock to tip.

He has a broad head and thick neck.

He really does not bark very much. It is more of a yip.

Cats says that he uses his paws like a Boxer, but I haven't seen him use them any differently than most other dogs we've had that definitely weren't Boxers.

He is very intelligent and is picking up our commands rather quickly.
    Ha ! Well from the entire pic of your lovely dog I can see the resemblance to Taffy's mom is a little skewed. The tail doesn't match, her's was straight out and not bushy, but Basenjis have that kind of tail and you say he doesn't bark, just yips, Basenjis yip. (Maybe some Kangaroo in there to, if he boxes), just kidding!

Lovely animal. You are lucky to have him and he is lucky to have you !

Tick
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jun 19, 2011, 05:20 AM

Thanks, Martin. :)

Mogrann, I hope you and Owen have a safe trip and a lot fun. :)

Tickle, lol. Kangaroo would explain his love of jumping up. :D
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2011, 05:23 PM

Here are some recent pictures of some of my coonie diners

Pictures by twinkiedooter - Photobucket

More to come when I take photos that come out. The subjects like to move around while eating. Right after the last photo there was a huge coonie fight and everyone left.

Use the slideshow feature to see captions.

I haven't seen the skunks lately. There are 4 of them all differently marked and very cute. Plus the possums haven't been up since it got warm out.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 11, 2011, 06:39 AM

Wow! Very cute. You are one brave lady Twinks. I would be scared to have those critters in my home. I don't mind feeding them outside, they seem to stay out of the garbage and compost bins when I willingly feed them. But now the foxes are coming around too. In hind site it probably wasn't the best idea to feed the wild life.
    Lyra123 Posts: 184, Reputation: 42

Jul 26, 2011, 01:00 PM
    This is Storm, and one picture with her boyfriend Boots
    Attached Images

Dogs Expert

Jul 26, 2011, 01:31 PM

Very cute kitties!

Jul 26, 2011, 01:57 PM

Thank you!
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2011, 03:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Wow! Very cute. You are one brave lady Twinks. I would be scared to have those critters in my home. I don't mind feeding them outside, they seem to stay out of the garbage and compost bins when I willingly feed them. But now the foxes are coming around too. In hind site it probably wasn't the best idea to feed the wild life.
    Those coonies ARE outside on my covered porch. I now have 3 babies probably 2 months old that come up. They are so cute and timid eating with their front paws.

Last night I had 3 kids and 4 adults. It was standing room only at the 3 bowls. I have a video feature on my digital camera and will try to take a video of them. I'll post it on Photobucket when I get it.

Oh yes, I also have 3 different skunks that come up regularly to eat. AND 3 oppossums as well. And I've had some coyotes come up on the porch hunting for a coonie sandwich.

I can see all this out my backdoor window in safety. Wow did those coyotes ever smell like wet dog! Skunks don't let off though.

And Bella I just adore your new moose! He's so cute. Maybe one day he'll grow into his legs and paws. He's going to be a big boy in about 2 years.
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2011, 03:57 PM

My Russian lady friend has a white Arctic fox and a huge (250 lb Siberian Timberwolf) AND a small black cat. She holds the cat in her arms and the wolf and fox trot alongside her. Lady (the wolf) is very protective of her and she can't go 3 feet away from her owner. The fox sleeps during the day and is active at night digging holes in the carpet, her bedding until she trained the fox not to.

She also has an entire flock of little ground owls and a flock of big Snowy White Owls (like the ones in Harry Potter movies) that she feeds each night. They adore french fries and pretzels and any kind of fish. She calls them all "Bob" as all the owls bob their heads up and down and then dive into the food. The little Bobs and the big Bobs. More seems to be coming over every day for goodies and the ones that live on her property are getting plump.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2011, 11:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Here are some recent pictures of some of my coonie diners

Pictures by twinkiedooter - Photobucket

More to come when I take photos that come out. The subjects like to move around while eating. Right after the last photo there was a huge coonie fight and everyone left.

Use the slideshow feature to see captions.

I haven't seen the skunks lately. There are 4 of them all differently marked and very cute. Plus the possums haven't been up since it got warm out.
    I was wondering what the hell a coonie was! When I saw the pictures I had an 'ahh' moment. But, I would lose a pound of flesh in fear if I saw one of those at the back door, id probably mistake it for a badger, but then badgers don't like people, so I would just scream.
    Dogs Expert

Jul 27, 2011, 07:37 AM

Wow Twinks, that is so cool that they aren't afraid to come up that close. Very neat. Love the pics and will be looking forward to seeing the video.

Here is a new pic of Lady.
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Jul 27, 2011, 09:23 AM

I turn on the 40W porchlight periodically looking for them. They can see me looking out at them but they are not concerned. If I need to put more food into the bowls and I make noise opening the doorlock they will scatter down the steps or Stretch likes to dawdle and look startled at me and then saunter down the steps.

They are quite timid and run off at the slightest noise. The little kids are not used to the porchlight and run down the stairs sometimes when I turn it on. The old hands don't bother running away from the light. I try not to keep the light on too much otherwise they may confuse a headlight of a car for the porchlight and get run over.

Have had Big Mama come up for the last 9 years all seasons. She's getting pretty old now for a coonie so I would imagine this is her last summer here.

The coonies didn't come up much last winter when it snowed a lot. Odd but the possums and skunks came instead in the snow. In the morning I would see distinct paw prints in the snow on the porch and know who showed up.
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2011, 09:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by redhed35 View Post
    i was wondering what the hell a coonie was! when i saw the pictures i had an 'ahh' moment. But, i would lose a pound of flesh in fear if i saw one of those at the back door, id probably mistake it for a badger, but then badgers dont like people, so i would just scream.
    I don't think you have raccoons in Ireland. Europe and Russia don't seem to have them either. I think they are strictly a North American animal. They usually range in the 20 lb when fully grown adult. Mine are probably around 25-30 lbs. Big Daddy is a really plump coonie probably in the 30 lb category.

When I lived in South Florida I would take my son (then age 4) to Dania Beach and let him feed a band of raccoons that lived there amongst the mangrove trees. They were so tame that he could feed them out of his hand crackers or bread. The beach was developed and the raccoons were relocated elsewhere. My son wants to kidnap one of the babies but I told him Stretch would bang on the door demanding her kid back. Some people actually keep them as pets. I had a friend in Florida who had a pet skunk!

The kids chortle to the mamas and the mamas chortle right back. Very unusual sound. They will also nip at each other if one gets too close to a bowl. Big Daddy uses his rump to rump up to another coonie without getting his face bit so he can eat.

Jul 27, 2011, 02:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    I don't think you have raccoons in Ireland. Europe and Russia don't seem to have them either. I think they are strictly a North American animal. They usually range in the 20 lb when fully grown adult. Mine are probably around 25-30 lbs. Big Daddy is a really plump coonie probably in the 30 lb category.

When I lived in South Florida I would take my son (then age 4) to Dania Beach and let him feed a band of raccoons that lived there amongst the mangrove trees. They were so tame that he could feed them out of his hand crackers or bread. The beach was developed and the raccoons were relocated elsewhere. My son wants to kidnap one of the babies but I told him Stretch would bang on the door demanding her kid back. Some people actually keep them as pets. I had a friend in Florida who had a pet skunk!!

The kids chortle to the mamas and the mamas chortle right back. Very unusual sound. They will also nip at each other if one gets too close to a bowl. Big Daddy uses his rump to rump up to another coonie without getting his face bit so he can eat.
    My dad's friend has a pet raccoon. He used to work at a movie theater and brought home a couple 20 gallon trash bags full of stale popcorn, and the coon had all the bags open and everywhere by the time he got back out of the restroom bringing them home!
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2011, 08:43 AM

Awesome pictures everyone :)
    Dogs Expert

Aug 4, 2011, 07:20 AM

Just wanted to share two new foster babies coming my way. Nibbles is a one year old staffy, was bred once before being seized from her dog house. She has to have her tail amputated due to a botched at home tail docking. She will probably be staying with me the longest. And the next is a totally new to me breed. An Old English Sheep Dog. He was part of a puppy farm, but has an amazing temperament so far. I bet he won't take long to find his forever home. A total goof he is.
    Attached Images

tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 4, 2011, 01:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Just wanted to share two new foster babies coming my way. Nibbles is a one year old staffy, was bred once before being seized from her dog house. She has to have her tail amputated due to a botched at home tail docking. She will probably be staying with me the longest. And the next is a totally new to me breed. An Old English Sheep Dog. He was part of a puppy farm, but has an amazing temperament so far. I bet he won't take long to find his forever home. A total goof he is.
    Lovely staffy, with that one crooked ear, she will find a forever home soon. She is lovely looking dog. How is her temperament? Does she have one tooth poking out there too? With the crooked ear and the tooth sticking over her lip, gives her 'now what' attitude.

You are wonderful to be a foster mom AB, takes a lot of patience but I feel you are the right person for the job ! Keep me posted on 'nibbles' please.

As for the old english sheepdog, high maintenance, will herd anything it sees, even kids, rabbits, whatever. I know this breed well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pets and being pregnant [ 2 Answers ]

Is it harmful to be around indoor pets while being pregnant?

CA - No Pets Law [ 1 Answers ]

I have been doing research online and I noticed in NY, that if a tenant has a pet for longer than 3 months and the landlord is aware of it and the landlord does not enforce the "no pets" terms of the lease than the tenant can keep the pet for the length of their tenancy. In the state of California...

Pets by marriage [ 3 Answers ]

If my partner and I take the next big step of living together, we would be bringing together two sets of pets (still an if at this stage, although we've both wondered how we would deal with all the pets if we did). He lives on a 5 acre property with a big, gorgeous, cat friendly Rottweiller...

Pictures of our members Pets [ 51 Answers ]

Ok since so many of us talk about our pets, and a few of us have posted pictures of them under the members pictures forum, I wanted to start a new one for Just the pets... Show them all off! Here are some of mine to start it off.:D 2305

View more questions Search