Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SARA BRANNON Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2007, 04:47 PM
    Adopted kitten
    We just adopted a female kitten that is eight weeks old, and we have a year old female cat already. Will she accept the kitten, or will we have to watch her around the kitten forever? Not sure whether she is stalking the kitten, or trying to be playful or not. I would feel awful if she harmed the sweet little kitten. Should we take the kitten back or not? Sara Brannon
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2007, 04:51 PM
    Just keep an eye out for them. At first do not leave them alone together when you can not supervise them. I think they will be just fine after the older cat adjust, hopefully they will be playmates. It might be helpful if you show the older cat some special attention, while the kitten is tucked in another room or in a carrier where it can't interfere. I have four cats and only 2 of them are litter mates they were adopted at different times and have adjucted to each other well. Good Luck
    RaineAndrews Posts: 32, Reputation: 8

Sep 24, 2007, 04:54 PM
    Cats are territorial by nature, especially those of the same sex. I've had this scenerio play out many times in my home. Your cat, as long as it isn't very aggressive, should not harm the kitten. It may paw and swipe, hiss and growl, but this is normal. Let nature run its course unless things get hairy (forgive the pun) They need to find out who is the Alpha Female of the house (most likely the oldest) NORMALLY they won't play with each other for many months, but will eventually play every now and then. Your older cat, may get annoyed with the younger every now and then and swat or hiss to reassert her dominence. I hope this helps, and I hope your kitty is able to make amends to your cat for encroaching on her territory (I've never seen it not work out)
    olenatichenor Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2007, 01:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SARA BRANNON
    We just adopted a female kitten that is eight weeks old, and we have a year old female cat already. Will she accept the kitten, or will we have to watch her around the kitten forever? Not sure whether she is stalking the kitten, or trying to be playful or not. I would feel awful if she harmed the sweet little kitten. Should we take the kitten back or not? Sara Brannon
    If you adopted a kitty, please don't take it back. Do not adopt unless you are sure you can handle it. You need to read some about cats living together. The older cat CAN hurt the small one, cats are territorial. They might get along later, but for now it should be under your supervision ONLY. It is important you train your older cat to not attack the smaller one, reward the older one, so she/he doesn't feel left out, which can cause aggression.
    Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New kitten [ 4 Answers ]

I adopted a kitten from a shelter 6 days ago. She is in my bedroom and I have put food out for her and a kitty litter pan. She uses the pan and eats all her food but I never see her. I think she is hiding under my bed, but I can't find her. I go in the room and read to her and talk to her, but I...

Will my older kitten ever be nice to my new kitten? [ 5 Answers ]

I have never had cats before. I adopted a male neutered kitten who is now 11 weeks old. Today, I adopted a 7 week old male neutered kitten, as a companion. I didn't realize the size difference would be so great until I got my new kitten home. 4lbs vs. 1.2lbs. My older cat seems to want to play, but...

New Kitten [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to get a new kitten, but I am worried about our space. I live upstairs at my house and I was wondering if you had any ideas how to keep my kitten from attempting to climb down the stairs outside my door.

Kitten help [ 2 Answers ]

Kittens in dire need of help!! Hello all,I am a first timer to this page.So I wasn't sure what catergory to put this under.I am a foster mommy to a beautiful cat who just recently had kittens last month.Before hand I didn't have fleas in my house and now I do,and they are on my kittens and I am...

My Kitten [ 2 Answers ]

My kitten got out during her very first heat(Ithink it was Septhember), now last night she was lying on my bed and her belly was moving all over, so I am sure she has kittens, how do I know when she is ready to give brth? Thank you

View more questions Search