Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DianeC Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2007, 04:48 PM
    Sneezing cat -- vet has no idea
    This is complicated, because we've actually taken our sneezing cat to vets a couple of times, have spent a bundle and we still don't know what's going on. I'd appreciate hearing your input since I trust vets about as much as I do human doctors (not much). Here's the scoop:

1. Sweet Pea, male 9 years old, began sneezing in the spring. Didn't think much of it at first, since I'm pretty sneezy myself, probably due to massive amounts of pollen in the Seattle area.

2. In June, I took him to the vet. She wasn't too concerned -- said his temperature, behavior, appetite etc. was normal so it might be a cold or allergies. Also, he's close with Lily, his mommy, and she's never contracted anything so it doesn't seem like a virus.

3. Now, late September, Sweet Pea is still sneezing and his breathing sounds a little wheezy. His appetite is fine and, since he's not the most active cat anyway it's hard to tell if he's lethargic but he seems more or less normal.

4. A couple of weeks ago, we took him to another vet and she did a blood scan on him for Feline leukemia, viruses, etc. The scan didn't come up with any obvious problems.
    The vet's suggestion is to start him on a two-week course of antibiotics to see if that will help him. If not, then she says she'll want to put him through more extensive (and expensive!) tests.

What do you all think?
    MayfairLady Posts: 147, Reputation: 23

Sep 26, 2007, 04:55 PM
    I have the same problem with my dog.. I have been given antibiotics for her which seem to have improved the sneezing slightly after 5 days. I was convinced she had got a 'foxtail' (grass seed) up her nose which can be dangerous! Anyway, I hope you get results from the antibiotics. Sorry this ain't much help! I just empathise it's very worrying
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2007, 04:59 PM
    Clean your apartment real well... all rooms, everywhere.
    Get rid of all dusty clutter and old pillows.
    Vacuum upholstered furniture and mattresses. Get new if possible.
    Wash all clothing and soft goods.
    Have kitty washed and combed.

Note that cats respond allergically to their human owners who are allergic.
    olenatichenor Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2007, 01:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DianeC
    This is complicated, because we've actually taken our sneezing cat to vets a couple of times, have spent a bundle and we still don't know what's going on. I'd appreciate hearing your input since I trust vets about as much as I do human doctors (not much). Here's the scoop:

1. Sweet Pea, male 9 years old, began sneezing in the spring. Didn't think much of it at first, since I'm pretty sneezy myself, probably due to massive amounts of pollen in the Seattle area.

2. In June, I took him to the vet. She wasn't too concerned -- said his temperature, behavior, appetite etc., was normal so it might be a cold or allergies. Also, he's close with Lily, his mommy, and she's never contracted anything so it doesn't seem like a virus.

3. Now, late September, Sweet Pea is still sneezing and his breathing sounds a little wheezy. His appetite is fine and, since he's not the most active cat anyway it's hard to tell if he's lethargic but he seems more or less normal.

4. A couple of weeks ago, we took him to another vet and she did a blood scan on him for Feline leukemia, viruses, etc. The scan didn't come up with any obvious problems.
    The vet's suggestion is to start him on a two-week course of antibiotics to see if that will help him. If not, then she says she'll want to put him through more extensive (and expensive!) tests.

What do you all think?
    I am puzzled. The vets should have found smth out by this time.
    Might be incompetent vets, I had to go through 2 to get the third one, I have now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sneezing cat [ 2 Answers ]

My cat recently has started to sneeze regularly. We recently obtained a puppy and it seems to correspond to this time frame of when cat started sneezing. Took to vet emergency could not find anything obviously wrong. Any suggestions?

Sneezing cat [ 3 Answers ]

My cat is 15 years old, is an inside cat and just started sneezing A lot day and night. He's never done this before. What is wrong?

Sneezing Cat [ 3 Answers ]

I just adopted my cat and she is about 1 1/2 years old & in the last week has started to sneeze, frequently! Can you tell me why?:confused:

Sneezing Cat... [ 2 Answers ]

My Cat is 8 years old. I took her to the Vet about a week ago because she was weezing when sleeping... after an x-ray they seem to think she might have asma. They gave her corazone and her weezing has stopped. Now she is sneezing all the time. All night long she wakes up and sneezes for a couple of...

Sneezing cat [ 4 Answers ]

My cat is about 11/2 years old & in the last couple of weeks has started to sneeze, frequently! Can you tell me why?:confused: Is she alllergic to somethning & if so how do I narrow it down?? Crazyhatlady

View more questions Search