Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2010, 07:11 AM
    Not coming when called
    Ok, normally Ryu and owen come when they are called and they are outside, these last few days they have taken to not coming when called, or coming as far as the steps and turning around and running off.. What can I do to get my pup to come when he is called. I'm moving out of the city and into a rural community/small town with many more meat eating wild animals and I would like him to be able to come right when I call him and me not having to go walk into the yard and "meet" him before he will come. Like it tried to hail last night and they wouldn't even come inside and normally they hate rain/storms..
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2010, 12:14 PM

Try taking both him and Owen out for some long leash recall training. You will need your aunt for this so good luck ;)

Take a long rope (lightweight) and attach it to his collar. Start short, just a few feet and practice calling him. If he doesn't come, give that rope a tug and reward with food once he reaches you.
    Gradually extend the rope further and further, calling him and tugging when he refuses.

I know that is the most common method. I will be honest though and say I have never actually done it. My dogs have selective hearing which is why we only go to fenced parks ;)
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2010, 12:23 PM

Shazzy, in one week I will not be here any more, and it is when they are in our own back yard that they are not listening at all... thanks for the advice
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2010, 01:52 PM

Oooh I didn't know that, I must try and keep up :D

Long leash recall is still good for your own yard, you just can't go quite as far with it.
    I'm lucky, mine would prefer to tear around the house than the yard so getting them back inside is no issue :D
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2010, 03:06 PM

LOL ryu and owen would prefer to stay outside all day long. Just at my aunt and uncles they are in the process of trying to get a new fence, one side is only two feet tall and the pups can jump it so we can't leave them alone outside...
    At my moms, her property is all fenced in

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What Are These Called, please? :), :[, 0(, >_<, :O, *_*, Etc. [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, All! I know that I didn't give very good examples in the title. But, I'm sure that you know what I mean. So, what are they called, please? Thanks!

Brown spotting keeps coming and coming [ 1 Answers ]

I have been on birth control for over two years. I have never had this problem before, and I don't know what is going on. For the past two months my period has been so crazy. I have had three periods and now everyday I bleed some or its brown when I wipe. This has been going on for two weeks. I...

Hunter fans troubleshooting power coming to the receiver, but no power coming out [ 1 Answers ]

I have a hunter ceiling fan with remote. There is power coming to the receiver, but no power going out

What's it called [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new, first post. You know when you fill out a form on the internet, say you need to type your e-mail address for example. You type the first letter and you get the drop down box showing every word you ever typed starting with that letter, including every time I've misspelled my e-mail...

The book called;'Dogs That Know When Their Owners Are Coming HOme and other Unexplain [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Carrum Downs, Victoria, Australia and have been told by a book shop that it would take two weeks to get in the book I'd like to see about buying. Does anyone have one close to where I live or even a secondhand one. The book is called:'Dogs That Know When Their Owners Are Coming HOme and...

View more questions Search