Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2010, 11:23 AM
    Weight pulling, agility,bulldogs,
    As you alll already know. . I've got an alapaha blue blood bulldog. Originally they were used for guard work and woods work and they were used for working with cattle and wild pigs. They are not recognized in canada.. which is a bummer but I was wondering.. Since they are very athletic and active dogs, compared to most other bully breeds. Would he be suited for some kind of agility work or anything.. Some people use them for weight pulling.. I don't know much about agility or weight pulling.. do you have to have a recognized breed to try agility in canada or can it be any breed of dog.. and where would I go to learn about this in calgary
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 15, 2010, 02:57 PM

I don't like weight pulling, but for the other stuff, there's only one way to find out! Try it.

Most vets will recommend a local obedience trainer, who in turn can recommend a good agility trainer.
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2010, 03:00 PM

Thank you Aurora.. because I know people with this breed of dog, and they run them while they bike for 5km a day if not more. So I thought maybe if they were that active maybe an agility thing would be nice.

Though I know I can't show him in canada because he's not recognized.. does the same aspect apply with agility
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jul 15, 2010, 03:04 PM

Here you go:
    Calgary Agility Association

I hope it helps answer some of your questions. :)

Edit: Looking into it a bit more. They have not been keeping up the site, but it may be a place to begin.
    Dogs Expert

Jul 15, 2010, 03:07 PM

Lady is a mutt, and I still take her to agility classes. I know in the states they are showing "mutts" in the agility and job sectors of the shows, so you may be able to compete that way. I know Ryu isn't a mutt, but it's just a thought.

Also, we have compilations with Lady's classes. It's not as "big time" as the real deal in dog shows, but it's a great feeling and Lady has gained SO much confidence from it.

She is even able to be around other dogs with out any fights.

I think it would be a great idea for Ryu. And as long as he enjoys it, than that's all that matters. :)
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2010, 03:08 PM

Thanks a million guys :D :D
    Marriage Expert

Jul 15, 2010, 03:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by binx44 View Post
    thanks a million guys :D :D
    Your welcome.

One word of caution from what I have heard in interviews with Agility trainers, they don't recommend starting them in agility until a year of age when their bodies are more developed and able to handle the stress.

However, the easier things like tunnels should be fun for him. As well as learning to work as a team, will be.
    Dogs Expert

Jul 15, 2010, 03:14 PM

No problem!
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2010, 03:16 PM

Thanks for that advice. I wouldn't be starting him heavy on it now.. just learning about it and preparing...
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2010, 11:01 PM

Agility is a lot of fun, but you have to be very fit as well!
    You have to run the whole course and be able to keep up with the dog.

I have done some basics with Prada, even have a video on YouTube of when she first started learning.
    The hard part was actually getting her to jump from one post to the other once she did that, and knew she wasn't going to fall she was great at it.

Like Cat said, until he's mature, only do ground work with him tunnels would be good, they are easy to set up at home too, just some hulo hoops cut in half with fabric draped over them.

A frames would be OK as long as they aren't too steep. You can make them out of planks of wood with some sort of grip stuck on them (non slip surface or even small strips of wood nailed on)

Weaving poles would be OK too, just not too fast, he can learn the actual weaving process though.

And of course, general obedience.

ETA - Forgot to add a link to the video :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAXQUiMMIdA
    Marriage Expert

Jul 16, 2010, 06:48 AM

I started looking up something I thought both of you might enjoy, dog packing, and ran across this site:
    Dog Play: Great activities you can do with your dog

It may give you some ideas of other things you can do with Ryu.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2010, 01:04 PM

If you're looking for some letters to put behind your dogs name, I know a lot of the breeds that aren't recognized get the Canine Good Citizens title.. They'll also do a working dog title, such as obedience or agility.

About a year and a half ago, my boyfriend and I went to the dog pulls. It was incredible! An American Bulldog pulled up to 3000lbs. A couple of months after that, we went and watched a sled pull.. That was pretty cool. The sled dogs won that show.

Here's a website you may be interested in.. weight pull dog supersite, breed information, working dogs, equipment, harness, pictures, how to make a drag sled or flirt pole, Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog Alaskan Malamute  American Bulldog American Eskimo American Pit Bull Terrier  American Staffor

I know a lot of American Bullies which are only recognized within they're own foundation base a lot of titles from the dog pulls.

Your pup probably couldn't do the pulls for a good 1.5 - 2 years.. but it might be something you want to look into.

Good luck
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2010, 06:13 PM

Awesome lucky. Sorry it took me so long to respond thanks a ton

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Agility course [ 2 Answers ]

I'm thinking about making my own dog agility course... Does anyone know some common items I could use?? Thanks, Alee & Rex

Would a high energy pitbull pointer mix be able to do agility? [ 3 Answers ]

My dog is very high energy I was wondering if a pitbull pointer mix would be any good at agility.

Does my insurance cover my rental property if the renters have bulldogs thanks [ 10 Answers ]

I have some rental properties and the renters has bulldogs does it cover it or do I need special insurance

Pulling up the anchor [ 17 Answers ]

Sometimes, things just get to a point where it's time to wipe the slate clean and start over. As this year get started, I feel this may be my year. andrewc24301 - my post are always head strong, and confident, as though they are written from a man who has a handle on his life. This is true...

View more questions Search