Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2010, 05:01 PM
    Dogs with floppy ears.
    My pupppy is a bulldog, his ears do not stand up they droop over themselves. (I've only ever owned dogs whose ears stand up) I was wondering, since I know dogs with droopy ears can be more prone to ear infections, what should I do to help prevent this. And what should I use.. he's not old enough to leave his mommy yet but I want to make sure I have all bases covered
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Apr 28, 2010, 05:07 PM

I didn't realize that dogs with floppy ears have more ear infections. My dog has floppy ears but they also stand up when something catches her attention. She hasn't ever had an ear infection.
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2010, 05:15 PM

Well I've had friends with retrievers and beagles.. and they seem toalways be getting ear infections. Maybe it's a breed thing then.. my bulldogs ears will never stand up, not even when something catches his atttention lol
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Apr 28, 2010, 05:18 PM

Hey Binx, not sure on how true that info is about being prone to ear infections, but as long as you keep your dogs ears cleaned on a regular basis you really should be fine.

I am sure once you get him you will take him to the vet for an introduction, de wormer, flea treatment and his first round of vaccines, the vet at that time may give you something to kill ear mites. I use revolution for worms and fleas, but for some reason I am thinking there is something in there for ear-mites as well... could be wrong, but I would have to double check.
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2010, 05:23 PM

Well, I know the breeder is taking him to the vet before I take him (he has also been to the vet today for his 6 week shot(s?) and a checkup.. that's how I know he is 7 lbs 5 oz :D my vet is in Ontario, the pups are in Nova Scotia (which is where I am until may 22nd)
    Dogs Expert

Apr 28, 2010, 05:25 PM

Ooo I am in NS too. Mind if I ask where the breeder is in NS? Might know them...

I know it may not feasible and it may be un necessary, but when I get a new dog I always like to bring them to my vet, for an introduction and a once over, it gives me a better piece of mind. But that's just me...
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2010, 05:31 PM

I don't mind you asking at all.. (me I'm origionally from ns) the breeder is on gaspereaux mountain in kings county just outside of wolfville (home of acadia university) they had a wonderful litter of NINE pups, 7 males 2 females. The mother of the pups is red merle, and the father is Pied... (black and white).
    She's a rather new breeder, this is their first litter... but I do believe they might of decided it is not for them. They didn't do all the research they should have, and risked the possibility of MM pups (merle x merle breeding and merle x Pied breeding is a no no in the community for these dogs.) which gives a 25% chance of excessive white pups, prone to deafness, and skin problems. Thankfully the one almost all white pup they had, has been tested and is completely fine. So they lucked out there. They were told by the registry's vice president that they could breed the two together without problems, as the male is from him. But.. sometimes people are not always right
    Dogs Expert

Apr 28, 2010, 05:36 PM

You know I wanted to say something about the merle, but I decided against it. I am glad they made that decision. Regardless they are gorgeous, and I bet they will make a wonderful addition to your home, I know you have been looking for a while and have had some issues with rescue.

I am in Colchester County.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2010, 07:21 PM

Dogs with floppy ears aren't prone to ear infections, but they are more likely to get them (unless of course the infection has to do with an underlying issue that doesn't have anything to do with the fact the dog has floppy or prick ears). This is pretty much because with the ear folded over, air cannot get in and moisture is more apt to build up - a perfect spot for bacteria and yeast to grow.

I have a floppy eared dog with skin issues so he is prone to ear infections. I just clean his ears about every week (more often if they are dirty) and make sure they are well dried. I also make sure they are dried when he goes swimming. I have learned the smell of "yeasty" ears and bring ear swabs into the clinic when I think he has an infection. The earlier caught the better.

At such a young age you shouldn't worry about ear infections as they are rare at that time. When the pup goes in for vaccines ask about proper ear care and they will give you pointers as well.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2010, 09:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    I didn't realize that dogs with floppy ears have more ear infections. My dog has floppy ears but they also stand up when something catches her attention. She hasn't ever had an ear infection.
    They don't ;)

It's more about your dogs genetics... if the parents were prone to ear infections then it is likely yours will to.
    If the parents were fine then you dog will most likely be fine.

I have poodles... you can't get much more dropped and much more hairy than them, they even grow thick hair INSIDE their ear canal and they have never had an ear infection.

To prevent it just keep them clean.
    Once a week just give them a wipe out with some ear cleaning solution (available at your vets) I don't even do that... mine just get the hair plucked out of their ears every 6 weeks when I groom them.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2010, 08:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by binx44 View Post
    My pupppy is a bulldog, his ears do not stand up they droop over themselves. (i've only ever owned dogs whose ears stand up) I was wondering, since i know dogs with droopy ears can be more prone to ear infections, what should i do to help prevent this. and what should i use.. hes not old enough to leave his mommy yet but i want to make sure i have all bases covered

I've had Labs with constant ear infections. The Vet told me that is because their ears never get "aired out." In fact, one of my Labs had to have surgery to widen the ear canal (I think that was the reference).

Now I have GSD - one has constant ear infections and I'm told because her stand up ears are exposed to the elements.

I think it depends on the dog -
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2010, 08:38 AM

They're not prone to ear infection just because they have floppy ears.

If your dog is a dirty dog and is contantly rolling in the dirt and getting wet, then ear infection will be more likely.

Just keep your dogs ears clean. That's all I do with my pit who has floppy ears instead of the rose or tuplip ear.
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2010, 08:20 AM

Thank you for the awesome information people :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Floppy boot download on to floppy? [ 1 Answers ]

I've just downloaded the windows 98 home Setup Disks for Floppy Boot Installation Thing is its 4.25mb and a floppy is 1.44mb How do I get this on to the floppy? It's a self-extractor do I extract it on my PC then put it on 2/3 floppys or make it into an image file?

How to clean out dogs ears [ 8 Answers ]

I was looking in my dogs ears and noticed some ear wax, would it be all right to clean his ears out with some Q-Tips?

Chihuahua Floppy Ears [ 8 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a strange question. My chihuahua, Susan, has been acting normally lately; except for one thing. Her ears don't stand straight up anymore. It's like when she was a baby and she had the floppy baby ears, that's how they are now. Its been this way for about 4 days. What's...

View more questions Search