Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SaraKammeraad Posts: 82, Reputation: 2

Apr 16, 2010, 01:08 PM
    Mosquitos
    I am wondering if there is a more natural ways to get rid of mosquitos. I heard that a little bit of diesel gas helps some. I live in the country and would like any suggestions that might help, smells, products, etc... I don't want to use citrinella cause I have a very large area and I'd have to spend a lot to cover the area and I can't afford it.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 16, 2010, 01:14 PM

Mosquitoes breed in swampy area, in bird bathes, etc. The hot weather doesn't help. I see you are in Michigan and you aren't in that season yet, or at least I haven't noticed any in southeast Ontario yet. No, please do not use diesel fuel, god I hate to think you would even think of doing that. You can by citronella pots, have your property sprayed (at a great expense), but if you are in a very wet area, say the UP, then forget it, you are going to get the little buggers no matter what you do.

If you have outside dogs, in dog houses, tied up, whatever, just remember that heartworm is very prevalent in the hot wet seasons and dogs can be bitten on the nose, belly, etc. Leaving them open to infestation and the worms go the heart. A painful death.

Tick
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 16, 2010, 01:16 PM

Really the best is to be dilligent of where if any standing water might be and also one of the most natural ways to get rid of mosquitos is if the area of concern is ponded then get some turtles. They eat the larva before it has a chance to hatch. Also bats are great hunters.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Apr 16, 2010, 01:19 PM

Dragonflies eat mosquitoes. You may able to buy dragonfly larvea if you have a pond or slow-running creek on your property that doesn't dry up.

There are also plants that are natural repellants. See if you can find some that would survive in your area.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 16, 2010, 01:29 PM
    Go to Lowe's or Home Depot or the other big box lawn & garden stores. In their pesticide section you will find little donut shaped pellets called "Mosquito Dunks." They contain a larvacide. Put them into pools or ponds near the house. It may take a lot, but they cut the population by about 85%. The other 15 fly in from elsewhere.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 17, 2010, 04:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    It may take a lot, but they cut the population by about 85%. The other 15 fly in from elsewhere.
    They will be mine.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Other Ways of Killing Mosquitos? [ 15 Answers ]

My close friend seems to have the type of blood that mosquitos like best- if there is such a thing. Wherever she goes she gets bitten by them constantly while the rest of us nearby don't get bitten at all. We live in the Caribbean so they thrive in this environment. She has had dengue fever several...

Mosquitos in my bio filter [ 3 Answers ]

I accidentally left the lid on my bio filter (for pond) cracked and now mosquitos are breeding in there. Every time I open it, they all fly out. :eek: It's disgusting. I tried wiping as many of the baby's out as I could, but they are still in there. Will they just die in there or do I need...

Pesty mosquitos [ 4 Answers ]

We moved into our remodeled home a year ago, there are small mosquitos 14-7 , The neighbors do not have a pool, and I cannot locate any standing water. I must leave the back door open so our two dogs can have access to outdoors. What can I use to repel the mosquitos? Of course they love me at...

Repelling mosquitos naturally [ 1 Answers ]

How can Irepell mosquitos naturally at dusk they are very bad outside

View more questions Search