Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mgstephens Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2012, 10:57 AM
    Double pane windows versus Thicker Single pane windows
    We are looking at replacing all of our sliding glass doors (4) with 1 door being a whole wall of window due to the sun and sounds of downtown Los Cabos, Mexico. We were told that a thicker (@ 11mm) window with an added darker tint to replace the much thinner pane that exists with foam sprayed into the track would suffice instead of 2 panes of thinner glass that is used for double pane windows... Does this make sense or are we being hoodwinked into an inferior job? Please help.
    Dr1757 Posts: 186, Reputation: 25

Feb 10, 2012, 11:28 AM
    Double pane with Argon gas between the two panes would be a better choice over a single pane.
    JackOfFewTrades Posts: 11, Reputation: 0

Mar 2, 2012, 08:02 PM
    Sealed Glass units are the best! Two pane or with an Invisible third pain witch will reduce solar heat gain and uv effects even further. You want a window that will allow for little solar heat gain for your windows to operate efficiantly year round. If you live in a cold climate and do not use air conditioning then you what widows that allow for solar heat gain. Foam filled vinyl extrusion is a sale gimic for the price it only gives you decimals or R value increase. The air in non foam filled vinyl extrusions provides alomost the same R vale so do not waste you money on the Foam filled extrusions.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2012, 08:06 PM
    Go with double pane, argon filled, Low-E. You will never regret it. I install windows and would never put in a single pane. In fact, it is not approved in GA to install single pane windows.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Double pane windows [ 5 Answers ]

I have a large triangle shapped window that the seal has been broken on... is there a way or a company that repairs them... the window was a special order 25 years ago & I fear the cost of replacement would be real expensive

Double pane window single pane broken [ 2 Answers ]

Our house is about 20 years old. It was built with Gapco double pane windows. A couple of days ago something hit the outside of the double living room window and broke one the outside panes of glass. How do I go about getting the glass replaced? Thanks

View more questions Search