Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pampacowboy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2011, 12:07 PM
    Prohibited use of plastic (non metalic) outlet/junction boxes.
    I have noticed plastic outlet boxex being used in residents for wall receptacles. Are the acceptable to be used above the ceiling if the box is accessible?
    Dr1757 Posts: 186, Reputation: 25

Dec 19, 2011, 12:33 PM
    They can be used in all interior locations.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2011, 01:57 PM
    Plastic boxes for wall receptacles and switches CANNOT be used for ceiling fixtures.

Ceiling fixtures must use a box rated for such use.

Look through this catalog:

http://www.carlon.com/Master%20Catal...0Boxes_2B1.pdf
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2011, 03:49 PM
    Are you asking about a fixture mounting box or a junction box? As TK said, a wall box cannot be used for a ceiling fixture mount as it is not rated for that application. Your question, however, leads us to ask, for what purpose? The Carlon site shows their Handy Box acceptable for use in a ceiling, and can be used as a junction box if it has a cover and is accessible, although the capacity is limited. I have also seen ceiling boxes used as junction boxes in a wall, behind a hanging mirror.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many junction boxes should you have for electrics. [ 2 Answers ]

Lights gone out upstairs baffled as to where the problem is as there is power going to them when tested

How many junction boxes? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Is it OK and safe to run a wire from the panel up to a junction box in the attic that runs wires to two rooms on one side of the house and then run a wire from that junction box to another junction box on the other side of the attic and power another room from that box? Basically, Is it OK...

Grounding outlets with plastic outlet boxes [ 3 Answers ]

The wire from the breaker box is 2 plus ground, but the wire into the outlet box is 2 without ground, the boxes are plastic. The outlets are currently 2 prong. The house is from the late fifties. I would like to ground the outlets and install 3 prong outlets.

Junction boxes [ 4 Answers ]

Greetings all, Is there any provision in the NEC that bans the use of junction boxes from use on the first floor of a residence? I've read through Article 314 and can't find any such limitation. Is there any exclusion that you know of?

Junction Boxes [ 2 Answers ]

Can I connect a "constant" power source to a "switch controlled" power source in the same junction box? I am putting power to the deck at the rear of my house. One line ( "switch controlled " ) is for the lights, and the " constant power ", is for a GFI, as I don't want to have the GFI tied...

View more questions Search