Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scott95 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2011, 11:12 PM
    Does a chimney need to be as high as the peak of the roof
    I'm puttiong a wood stove in my shop and running the chimney out the side wall of the shop on the south side 8 ft up the wall
    Dr1757 Posts: 186, Reputation: 25

Oct 21, 2011, 12:26 AM
    Normally the chimney the needs to be as high as the peak of the roof to prevent downdrafts into the fireplace Straight line wind blowing across the peak of the roof will dive as it passes over.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2011, 07:34 AM
    There is no hard and fast rule but in practice, the end is placed 2-3 ft above the ridge. Also, make sure to put a deflection cap on it. A gas vent cap prevents water from coming in and keeps downdrafts out. Otherwise, you will have smoke backing into the firebox and your shop.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 22, 2011, 12:34 PM
    There actually is a rule, a chimney must not terminate lower than 2' above any roof point within 10' and it must be at least 3' taller than where it exits the roof line, called the 2' 10' 3' chimney rule.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chimney or Roof Leak? [ 4 Answers ]

I have recently acquired a mid-terraced house with a brick chimney. My next-door neighbour has advised me that he has damp/water running down his upstairs wall, and he claims that a builder/roofer has advised him that my chimney is leaking. However, I have no water/damp on the walls or...

Roof Flashing Valley to Peak [ 1 Answers ]

When I am using W shaped valley flashing and my two valleys meet at the peak of the roof, how do I flash the top so as not to get a leak there?

Roof/chimney still leaking after contractor fixed it [ 3 Answers ]

First of all I am new and I want to thank you in advance for the advice. This might be a bit lengthy but please bare with me. I had a licensed contractor out to my house to reshingle the roof. After the job was completed in 2005, my chimney is still leaking with water dripping down the sides when...

Peak height of roof [ 3 Answers ]

I want to make a roof for my shed that can use 4x8 sheets without cutting... the depth of the shed is 12 feet and if I lay the 4x8 sheets down flat the width of the sheets would be 16 feet deep,but that's toooooo flat and 2 feet of overhang on the front and back is too much(lol).. looking for a...

View more questions Search