Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JRichey Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2011, 11:43 AM
    New Electric Range - Old Wiring
    Over the weekend over "Harvest Gold" stove finally went the way of the Dodo. It had been hardwired and now I need to install a 3 prong receptacle. The existing cable is 2 hots (red, black) and bare wire which is connected to the ground bar in my main panel. I understand what to do with the 2 hots, but am a little confused on the bare wire. I thought that the bare wire would be my neutral but it leads to the ground bar. Does this mean it is a 240v circuit that doesn't need a neutral, if so, do I need to change anything for my new electric range. Or do I just connect the bare wire to the bottom (neutral) spot on the 3 prong receptacle?
    Dr1757 Posts: 186, Reputation: 25

Sep 26, 2011, 12:19 PM
    Yes wire the bare wire to the ground pin and one of hot wires to each of the other pins on the new plug.
    JRichey Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2011, 06:48 AM
    Awesome - thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric range wiring [ 7 Answers ]

Can I use 12/2 romex to wire a two-burner electric cook top? Total wattage: 3,700. @240 VAC = 15.41 amps I'm doing the wiring for a volunteer ambulance service crew quarters and want to save them money. http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SpecPage&Sku=JP256BMBB ...

Wiring installation for new electric range. [ 1 Answers ]

Our house was built in 1909 and the old range has direct wiring. We are purchasing a new electric range and need to know how to install the proper wiring / outlet as it will not be directly wired.

Wiring on a GE Profile Electric Free-Standing Range [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We're trying to install a new GE Profile Electric Free-Standing Range for my mom. We hooked up a 3-wire, 40-amp power cord (red, white and black connector wires). But we've found an addition set of wires dangling on the back of the stove, above the main power cord: one white wire, one green...

Electric range wiring [ 4 Answers ]

4 years ago my home passed electrical inspection with the range wired on a 10/3 wire in a 30 amp breaker. Today I am finishing out the basement and the inspector tells me I need a 40 amp breaker with a 6/3 wire. Has the NEC changed regarding this?

Electric Range Wiring [ 4 Answers ]

Thanks ahead of time... I live in a home built in 1981 and the electrical wiring to the old Top range consists of three wires ( black, white and a copper bare wire). I bought a new Electric range that has connections in the back for four wires. My questions are: 1. do I purchase a three plug...

View more questions Search