1989 f150 battery will not stay charged
    Recommendations or hint welcome
    jtw677889 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2011, 12:08 AM
    Hints welcome
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2011, 06:20 AM
    You could disconnect 1 battery cable, place a bulb/socket between the connection, it will be lit if you have a draw/drain, you could then remove fuses 1 by 1, may need to remove all to be sure, Identify where they go back, maybe disconnect alternator, regulator, to see if they are the culprit.
    A DC Amprobe is nice for this as it shows any charge or draw at 1 time.
    You either have a bad battery, alternator not charging, or a drain?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2011, 06:29 AM
    . Remove and fully charge the battery. Most auto parts stores will do this for free. Ensure the battery is good or get it replaced.

. Check the regulated battery voltage, while the engine is idling. It should be 14 to 15 volts. If it's low, replace the voltage regulator/brush holder assembly. On older F-150s, access is on the back of the alternator. Remove the four Torx 20 mounting screws and remove the regulator/brush holder. Use a small drill bit or paper clip to retain the brushes, until the new regulator/brush holder is installed. Disconnect the negative battery cable, prior to working on the alternator.
    Dr1757 Posts: 186, Reputation: 25

Aug 22, 2011, 06:46 AM
    How old is the battery? If it's more than 3 years old you probably need to replace it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 2001 nissan frontiers battery won't stay charged [ 2 Answers ]

Every where I went including nissan dealer told me it was the alternator but I replaced it three times now and still the same problem

04 f150 now it won't accelerate after battery change [ 1 Answers ]

hi I changed my battery in my 04 f150 4x4 and now it starts but will only idle no matter how much I push the gas pedel

No fuel to 1989 f150 302 dual tanks [ 1 Answers ]

Fuel pump relay seems to work, but only getting 6 volts to the fuel pump. Where do I begin to troubleshoot this problem. Thanks.

Battery won't stay charged on my riding lawn mower. The engin is a briggs 14.5 ohv [ 1 Answers ]

My battery won't stay charged on my rider. The engin is a briggs & stratton 14.5 ohv model #287707. The cabels look to be in good shape.

View more questions Search