Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gabe233dsp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2010, 03:50 PM
    401k early withdrawal penalty tax question
    I was laid off in 2009 and used my 401k distribution to pay for medical insurance while unemployed and for grad school tuition, rather than rolling it over. I thought I could avoid the 10% early withdrawal penalty if I took 401k distributions and used them to pay for medical insurance and/or higher education expenses. However, when I researched online and with the IRS, it appears that the penalty exception only applies if the withdrawal comes from an IRA. Is this true? Why wouldn't the exception apply to me? It seems I did the same thing that the exception was put in place for, but with my 401k instead of an IRA. If I had known this, I could have rolled over to an IRA then withdrew the money! I assume that it is too late now? If I have to pay the penalty, I will owe $3,000 that I did not budget for and be in a very dire financial position. Is there anything I can do?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 17, 2010, 07:16 AM

There are actually many differences in the details of how IRAs and 401(k) plans work. You are correct that costs for higher education qualify for an exemption from the 10% penalty if taken from an IRA, but not if taken from a 401(k), so yes - you would have been better off rolling your old 401(k) to an IRA and then taking a withdrawal from there. But as for medical expenses - in both cases you avoid the 10% penalty to the extent that your medical expenses exceed 7.5% of your income, so that's not an issue here.

You have 60 days from the time you took the withdrawal to roll the funds to an IRA. So if you're still within that time window, you can make the roilover and avoid the issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K early withdrawal penalty [ 2 Answers ]

I have been unemployed for 4 months and possibly have to take cash out of my 401K. I understand I can waive the 10% penalty tax if I used the money to pay for Health Insurance premium. Do I need to use all of the cash I withdraw to pay for the insurance to qualify for this exception, or can I use...

401k Early withdrawal penalty [ 2 Answers ]

I am wondering how much of a penalty I will have to pay if I clean out my IRA early?

Penalty for early withdrawal of 401K [ 1 Answers ]

I was laid off my current job after 7 years. I am 51 years old. How much will I be penalized for withdrawing my 401K?:confused:

401K early withdrawal penalty [ 1 Answers ]

This may sound like a stupid question, but, please understand that I am an artist -- not a money person. If you take an early withdrawal from a 401K plan, pay the 20% state and federal tax before receiving the disbursement, how do you claim all this on the tax form? Can you use the EZ forms or do...

401k early withdrawal and 10% penalty [ 2 Answers ]

In regard to an early 401k withdrawal, can someone advise if the 10% penalty is calculated on the amount AFTER the 20% withholding, or is it on the amount of the original withdraw? (e.g. If you withdraw $10,000 from your 401k early, and the company withholds 20%=$2000; are you then required to pay...

View more questions Search